Uncooked meat/fish dishes

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by abaff410, Mar 1, 2014.

1. abaff410

abaff410

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Just wanted to start a thread for idea sharing. Anyone make any good dishes involving uncooked meat or fish? Anything from ceviche to cured pork. I'll start it off. Here are two dishes I've made recently.

Lamb tartare with apples, chives, lemon agave yogurt, Belgian endive and crispy carrots.
    Orange marinated haddock with romaine hearts, cured egg yolk and white wine vinaigrette
    I can't wait to see what all of you have made!

2. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I didn't do it yet, but i've been thinking in a beef tenderloin carpaccio in escabeche sauce.

3. vic cardenas

vic cardenas

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    [​IMG]

Tiradito. Kind of like a sashimi/ceviche hybrid. Not my work, just a pretty picture I found.

4. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    For the fish challenge I made two Hawaiian pokes, one with tuna, one with steelhead.  They were quite tasty, will be making some again.

The tuna is in the spoon on the left. That blob on the avacado ring is minced tuna, mayo and sriracha.  Basically what one would put in a spicy tuna sushi roll.

mjb.

abaff410 likes this.
  5. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Oh, and what is cured egg yolk?  How is that done?

mjb.

6. abaff410

abaff410

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Sounds good! Reminds me of a dish I had at Misery Loves Co. in Burlington. Beef crudo with a warm cheese sauce. Unfortunately, the cut they used was pretty chewy, but the flavor was great!

7. abaff410

abaff410

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That poke looks great. I haven't tried making poke yet, but I've been meaning to. For the egg yolks, I just put some yolks into a 50/50 mix of salt and sugar. Kept changing it every day or so, as the salt became saturated with water. Once they were totally dry, I grated them on a microplane. Tastes similar to parmesan cheese.

8. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Good thread!  I've never had tar tar, but I've always been curious.  I ventured into making salmon poke a few weeks ago for the fish challenge.  It was a wonderful dish though if I made it again I would use much less soy sauce.

abaff410 likes this.
  9. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Can't find a picture right now, but there is a thai recipe for beef salad. The beef is sliced very thin and marinaded with a good amount of lime juice, so basically carpaccio, cerviche-style - I should play around with that technique a bit, one of these days.

10. brandon odell

brandon odell

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I've done these tuna poke in wonton cups several times before. [​IMG]

I also like to do these sushi salmon canapes on cucumber chips with wasabi pea salad.[​IMG]

Another favorite is oshi style sushi where you press sushi, toppings, seaweed then rice into a mold then flip it out and cut it into squares. Its seasy and the presentation is good.

11. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    The most difficult part of poke and sushi is often finding fish that you want to eat raw.  Poke is pretty easy to prepare.

mjb.

12. abaff410

abaff410

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Whenever I'm preparing a dish with raw fish, I head to my farmers market and buy whole fish. It's pretty easy to tell how fresh a whole fish is and with a little practice, filleting and skinning is a cinch.

13. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef

Here's my take on Hawaiian Poke done with Yellowtail. Citrus Creme Fraiche, Napa Cabbage Slaw and fried wonton crisps.

abaff410 likes this.
  14. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Love that plate!

mjb.

15. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Are you concerned at all about parasites? I've looked into this a bit and the whole term "Sushi Grade" at least by the FDA had to do with a deep freeze that would kill parasites that can affect humans. That being said, I've known plenty of fisherman down here in FL that went into the gulf stream and caught tuna and ate it fresh on the boat. No idea. I've never liked raw fish because the texture is off-putting to me.

16. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    You have to know about the fish and the parasites growth stages. 

You also have to know about what ones might affect you.

It's much like knowing when and where to harvest shellfish... just in this case Daddy/Mommy Gov't hasn't come up with a list of times and places.