Unconventional tools

Joined Aug 29, 2000
The pastry thread discussion of buying paint brushes for pastry work, and using PVC pipe for numerous jobs made me wonder what else people are using in their kitchens that started out in the hardware store or elsewhere. I also use a paint brush for pastry. What else are people using?

Joined Sep 25, 2000
I use alot of stuff from the hardware store. For example, I use stainless steal funnal for some pastry work, and copper tubing as well. Sometimes when I have big parties with a theme, then I go to the hardware store for some ideas.

Joined Dec 30, 1999
aluminum soda can to mold tortillas & fried cheese into bowls

real leaves to leave impression in dough

crystal glass drying sheets to mold chocolate

spray bottles from the beauty supply store have the best mist

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
To roll dough of even thickness, I bought strip of wood of different height, two of each of course.

Joined Jul 31, 2000
I use Firestone steel belted radials when I need to make really big bagels It's a great template..although Michelin all season works best for Pate brisse
cc

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Who do you bake these for Cape Chef? The Green Giant and the Michelin bib?
wink.gif

Joined Jul 18, 2000
i actually know some people in the country who get old plow shares and make them in to BBQ hot plates.

What they actually do is make a tripod out of carbon steel and weld a chain from the tripod, hanging down, and then heat and reform the share into a shallow cone and weld that to the chain. Use over a open fire.

Joined Aug 29, 2000
Crudeau, I keep a dozen pair of chopsticks for beating eggs, use as tongs, etc. But we're cheating! Those ARE kitchen tools. Anybody ever make hoe cakes on a hoe?? I've used a hammer as a batti carni when I lost mine.

Joined May 29, 1999
Plastic carpet runners, one side for textured chocolate the spiked side for cooling tarts and the like.
Plastic sheeting is great for molding chocolate over a cake or around anything.
Carpet underliners, for keeping large cake layers on cardboard from sliding off cake stand or spinner.
Wooden dowels for cake supports, (cost less than the wilton ones)
Particle board for cutting cake boards for wedding cakes and the like.
Floor tiles to line the bottom of the oven, bricks too.
Flower pots to bake in.
I could go on for days.............

Top Bottom