UK Chef, Seeking advice

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by Steve Nock, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Steve Nock

Steve Nock

Exp:
    Head Chef
    Hi all,

I'm a Chef from the UK, currently working as a Head Chef.

I have recently decided, that i want to move to Spain, but I am worried about the work life balance out there and the general working conditions, also, the area we will be moving to is predominantly English, and I don't want to end up in a place full of can't be arsed English chefs who fancied some sun.

Can anyone here offer any advice? anyone here that has done the same thing? Do I go over as a CDP and work my way up or do I find somewhere to be a Head Chef?

Thanks for Reading.

2. sgmchef

sgmchef

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Cheers Steve,
    Welcome to ChefTalk.
    I can't help with your questions, but you should consider posting your questions in the Professional Chefs Forum on this site, since this is just the introduction area.

3. 21TonyK

21TonyK

Exp:
    Chef, ex-restaurateur
    For me a lot would depend on where and what market I would be working in. If my target market was local Spanish I would have to be 100% confident cooking traditional and modern Spanish cuisines and fluent in the language, they are a very fussy bunch about food!

If ex-pat then I would be happier going straight out as a HC as long as I had the basics of the language, suppliers, staff etc will probably be local. You just have to make sure your food suits their tastes.

Then you have the whole economic situation to consider. Spain (as a generalisation) is still in deep recession with property prices going Southwards and very high unemployment. Therefore little disposable cash for entertainment and fierce competition for jobs.

Its a little easier on the islands where the locals are more affluent but most jobs are seasonal. In this situation I would be looking as servicing relatively wealthy retired ex-pats who are insulated from the economy. You will also find on the islands (Mallorca in particular) there are is a huge German population, again wealthy.

I have a Spanish relative who is a chef (a reasonably good one) and hes had to take work front of house as competition for kitchen roles that paid decent money was difficult.

It's fairly easy to find work in tourist areas in season but many places virtually close over the winter.

Don't know if that helps but its a few thoughts.