Tzatziki Sauce Cucumber Substitute

Joined Jun 18, 2021
In response to an old thread… To keep the fresh, light, flavor of the sauce try using mint as a substitute for the cucumber. Hot, spicy, cheesy, or oily substitutes didn’t work for my needs. Like the OP, my boyfriend doesn’t like cucumber. I cook his organically raised and self-processed staffordahire mutton/lamb frequently: lamb burgers, lamb meatballs, etc. and they need a light and fresh cucumber sauce or a reasonable substitute, in my humble opinion.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Cucumbers don't like me (pickles I fine with) so I have to "milk" the cucumber then peel and seed. After that I'm fine. To "milk" a cucumber cut off one end and rub it on the cucumber till the froth stops coming out then repeat on the other end. It's like disarming a bomb.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
In an pinch I've made yogurt sauce without cucumber: strain yoghurt to get rid of the whey, mince shallots, bit of lemon juice, lemon zest, mint. pressed or minced garlic.

Joined Apr 25, 2017
Watermelon rind (the white part) makes a great substitue for cucumber. We grate it for Tzatziki - good for a family member who gets heartburn from cucumbers (weird, but true).

Joined Nov 27, 2012
Jesus fuck, that's genius. I am absolutely "burrowing" that particular tid-bit and running away with it.

Joined Feb 8, 2009
Try a Yogurt/ Sour cream dill & lemon sauce. You could even try it with some mint, but I haven't. I use this for a light sauce for Salmon in the summer.

Joined Aug 13, 2019
Watermelon rind (the white part) makes a great substitue for cucumber. We grate it for Tzatziki - good for a family member who gets heartburn from cucumbers (weird, but true).
ditto.....I use it in place of cucumber, radish, etc......superb for texture and the cool taste.

Latest posts

Top Bottom