Types of Rice

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I found some different kinds of rice at a specialty store and bought them on a whim?  I got Bomba and Carnaroli.  What can I expect from this rice and what would be the best use for each of these?

Joined Feb 1, 2007
Could be an interesting hobby, KK, as there are something ike 400 rices cultivated worldwide.

I'm not familiar with the Bomba. Carnaroli is, I believe, a short-grain, starchy sort of rice, ideal for risotto and similar applicatios.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Bomba is perfect for paella! You're lucky to have found it, I can't find it anywhere around here. Well wholefood sometimes has "Paella rice", but that's very expensive and I'm not sure what it is exactly (although it tastes great in paella). 

Joined Apr 3, 2008
That's great news, I've been wanting to make a good paella. 

The carnaroli rice, how does it differ from arborio?

Joined Jan 5, 2007
I was taught to make risotto when I was a teenager, by the Italian mum of a schoolfriend - she stated that the ONLY rice to use for risotto was carnaroli - and I was in such awe of the tastes she produced with her risottos, I never tried any other! However, I've eaten risottos made with arborio in friends' homes. In my opinion, it's not as good. Carnaroli gives such a wonderful, creamy texture to a risotto.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
That's great news, I've been wanting to make a good paella. 

The carnaroli rice, how does it differ from arborio?
Carnaroli absorbs more liquid and doesn't stick, making it creamier. It's also easier to keep "al dente" even when fully cooked. Arborio is good too but it's easier to end up with something sticky. 

Latest posts

Top Bottom