Two wood cutting board Qs

Joined Dec 19, 2014
Hi.

1. I use my cutting board every eve for dinner, and wash it after each use. Hot, soapy water. I am finding that I need to mineral oil it every three days. Is this normal?

2. I heard somewhere that you can buy a blacklight (?) to see if there is any bacteria on the board. Will any one do, or is there a specific kind to get?

Thanks in advance.

Joined Jan 25, 2013
i would hot soapy water only after cutting proteins. if only cutting veg or fruit, a quick rinse should be enough. every 3 days is what your board needs, seems ok. maybe the next time you use oil, use a lot, allow to stand for 1/2 hour or so. add another coat and let stand. do this until there are no patches where oil soaks in. other alternative would be a mineral oil/beeswax paste which should stand up to washing better.
i would not waste money on a blacklight. in tests, wood prevented bacteria from multiplying and gradually killed any that were missed by washing.

Joined Dec 19, 2014
Thanks!

So, if I cut onion and garlic - which I pretty much do every day - no need to wash with soap?

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
You'll transfer those flavors to other things. Some things won't matter, but for fruit the combo with garlic isn't pleasant to most people.

Joined May 5, 2010
Oil the cutting board only once every month is all you need. Washing in soapy water after each use is good. Have you considered using a small amount of bleach on the board?

Latest posts

Top Bottom