Two ways of making Cordon Bleu, what is the difference?

Joined Mar 13, 2017
Hello everyone,

Yesterday, I made Cordon Bleu by putting the stuffed and breaded chicken breasts in the oven until it was done and it turned out pretty good.

My wife wants to eat Cordon Bleu again today, so I was watching this video  and the Chef cooked the stuffed and breaded breasts on a skillet first until golden brown and THEN he put them in the oven to be baked for 8 to 10 minutes.

What is the difference between just putting them in the oven and cooking first on the stove and then putting them in the oven?

Also do you have any tips on making the perfect Cordon Bleus?

Thanks!

Joined Sep 5, 2008
I grew up on cordon bleus: in France, they are the dish mummy makes to make little ones happy. Can't go wrong with breaded chicken stuffed with ham and cheese hmmmm?

I have never seen my mum use an oven for cordon bleus. They are supposed to be a quick meal, so no need to heat up a whole oven! Just shallow fry them in a pan.

I suppose that in the linked video, the reason for doing a quick fry and finishing in the oven is because his cordons are rather thick so he wants to be sure they're cooked to heart without having to burn the breadcrumb. When I make cordon bleus I typically make them flatter than that. Although those look very tasty!

Just putting them in the oven (without frying first)... well you'll get something that's baked, not fried. The breadcrumbs won't be golden brown and delicious and crunchy and making crackling sounds when you bite into them the same way they are when fried.

Joined Feb 8, 2009
I have never made Cordon Bleu any other way but in the oven. If it is a chef video it would be the way it's made in a restaurant setting. Most all dishes like this would be started in a pan and then finished in the oven. The way you did it was fine. The way the chef did it was quicker and may have a bit more color to the appearance of the crust. 6 of one 1/2 doz of the other.......

Joined Apr 1, 2017
Using an oven proof pan, I fry one side until browned, flip and put in a preheated 375 oven. Should be ready to go in 15 minutes...check as you normally would...

Joined Jan 31, 2012
I have made hundreds of chicken cordon bleu in a commercial environment. I always bake them in the oven to 160F. The breading comes out beautiful. I use Guere cheese or swiss, Black Forest ham, spinach leaves and a strip of roasted red pepper in the middle, for striking presentation. The way I keep the chicken breast from drying out...I make a glaze out of dejon mustard and white wine, I slather on the inside of the chicken breast. (I only bread one side)
The end product doesn't taste like mustard at all but it does keep them moist.
I have used the pen method but I'm not crazy about it they just always seem to taste oriola to me.

Joined Mar 13, 2017
Thanks for your replies!

It is fantastic to get advice from experienced great people like you guys.

I made Cordon Bleu before just by baking them in the oven, 3 or 4 minutes before taking them out of the oven I noticed that the breading was not golden enough, so I just spread a very small piece of butter on top and voila!

This time I made them using the method the Chef in the linked video made them, fry first and then the oven. It came out exactly the way it was when finished in the video.

I used honey mustard that I made earlier instead of Dijon mustard though, and it tasted great.

Meezenplaz's idea of putting spinach leaves and a strip of roasted red pepper in the middle is a fantastic idea that I will definitely try the next time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom