twist on meatloaf

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by dagger, Feb 12, 2016.

1. dagger

dagger

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    I have some crab meat left over few ounces and I was thinking of mixing it into meatloaf. 1 lb. chop meat, .5 lb. chop pork, chop onion & mushroom, crushed red kidney beans, egg, ketchup, soy sauce, beef broth, ,bread crumbs, cheddar cheese, spices mix. think it will be ok?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  2. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    It will be edible but I don't think you will be able to taste the crabmeat with all the other ingredients. Why not make a crab frittata or an omelet if it is only a few ounces? Or a crab salad. Something that highlights the crab rather than getting lost in a meatloaf.

flipflopgirl likes this.
  3. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    That sounds really gross. A better use of the crab would be to toss with pasta or stuff into cannelloni or ravioli. Or you could mix it with lots of grated zucchini or corn and make it into fritters. Frittata sounds good too. But mixing it into the meatloaf not only will you not be able to taste it but it will only impart a fishiness to the dish.

4. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I don't think meatloaf would even be on the list of what to do with leftover crab meat. A better use would be crab cake with a Remoulade Sauce or just make a quick crab cocktail with a dab of fresh made cocktail sauce. When your eating crab you want to taste the crab not use it as a filler.........

5. dagger

dagger

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    it's going to be cold this weekend so maybe I'll us it in a Quiche. Got green onion, red peppers, mushrooms, again some crab claw meat, cream cheese if you think needed, cheddar cheese or mozzarella or parmesan if cheese goes with crab and pie crust. Also have can of evaporated milk, no cream or 1/2&1/2 but do have milk.

6. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    I'd stay light on the cheese. Maybe just a dusting on top. Crab is a delicate flavor and easily overwhelmed so crab should be the dominant ingredient. Green onion and red pepper would be enough for me. 

7. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    Take it slow. One pound of chopped meat and 5 pounds chopped pork, beans, etc, and crab is not a balanced dish. Too much going on. Save the crab for a salad nicoise or salad, cut down on the pork, drop the beans. You could stretch the meatloaf and make it more intereresting as a meatloaf braciole style. I would rethink the dish.

8. dagger

dagger

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif "."5 lbs. or 1/2 lbs. pork

9. brandon odell

brandon odell

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Crab balls lightly roasted for texture then steamed atop a pan of homemade seafood stock. Season the stock with ginger, fish sauce, lemongrass, garlic and a little brown sugar. Just before serving add a squeeze of lime juice, mushroom slices, bean sprouts, shaved radish and some jalapeño. Ladle over some brown rice noodles.

10. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    For future reference a Vietnamese restaurant in Albany removes the two bones from chicken wing flaps and stuffs them with crab meat then fries them crisp.  They are in a word - delicious.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  11. dagger

dagger

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    sounds intresting

12. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    Van's on Central? I go there for pho. I'll have to try the wings.

13. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Yup - Van's Vietnamese on Central and the pho really is good.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  14. mhatter-1

mhatter-1

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Would a pinch of cayenne be over the top?

15. mhatter-1

mhatter-1

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Mike9, have you ever visited Liverpool, NY.? There is a great little white  coney dive in the middle of the city.

16. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    No, but I'll check it out sometime - thanks for that tip.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif