Tweaking a Sauce Robert

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by phatch, Nov 7, 2003.

1. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I've got some Aidell's Artichoke and Garlic sausage. Was going to serve it with roasted carrots and some Rotini pasta. Looking for a sauce to harmonize the pasta and sausage together.

My thougts are for a lemon mustard sauce with a stock/wine reduction for the base; all common items to a Sauce Robert Thus I was going to use that as my departure point for this sauce. So, I'll use less stock than Robert normally would to amplify the mustard and lemon flavors, adding in more in small doses and tasting. Maybe add some capers?

What are your thoughts for this sauce?

Phil

2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    All good ideas. Robert sauce is normally served with heavier fair such as game and steak. Philosophically speaking, there is no difference between adding capers as a final garnish to the Robert and adding capers to the pasta. The distinguishing element in Robert is the mustard. I haven't seen Robert sauce on a menu in 10 years.

Fresh parsley at the end, perhaps some mushrooms with the pasta, who knows. Whatever you have in the fridge.

And, as we all know, a touch of butter at the end always amplifies things :)

Kuan

3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Worked fairly well, I ended up going heavy on the lemon zest.

Initially, when the sauce tasted balanced, it didn't work as I had imagined with the sausage. Extra lemon flavor without the acid took it the rest of the way.

Skipped the capers, just ran out of time.

Phil

4. chefbob

chefbob

Obscure refrence to sauce ROBERT

in the original story of hanzel and greatle (hanz christaian anderson) the Stepmother wants to eat the childer and the chef tell her their best served with Sauce Robert