Turning a house into a food manufacturing establishment

Joined May 25, 2015
Now you're splitting hairs. It doesn't matter what part of your operation takes place in the house, as long as the product is for sale all the procedures have to be carried out according to your health department and local requirements.

Joined Apr 17, 2019
Hi, I live in GA. My husband and I purchased a home across the street from our restaurant and converted it into a commercial production kitchen for all of our baked goods. We produce all of our desserts, gelatos, breads, and pastas. We had to rezone commercial, have an architectural plan for city and state health inspectors. We are under the agricultural dept since we don't use this kitchen for any foodstuffs like sauces or anything with meat, fish, or poultry. We are a “bakery” and retail everything out of our restaurant(no dealing with public . Health codes are VERY specific down to the drains you are required to install, mop sinks, trash bins, sanitary flooring and walls, etc. Had to replumb and run proper electricity... Single phase 110v and 220v and 3-phase for equipment. It is a chore and NOT for the feint-hearted...but definately doable. Costed us close to $25k Good luck! Cfrog59

Joined Apr 13, 2019
Now you're splitting hairs. It doesn't matter what part of your operation takes place in the house, as long as the product is for sale all the procedures have to be carried out according to your health department and local requirements.

I'm not splitting hairs. I don't have a space to store my macarons so I have a separate freezer in another room in our house. Naturally, I have to use my house to do some processing of the macarons. The health department knows this because the kitchen I rent doesn't allow me to store my macarons in their facility. The health department inspect me every year for my permit.

Plus, I don't bake in the house so I don't see how my home insurance would need to be worried about anything. I don't have customers coming and going in it so that's not even a concern, either.

Joined Apr 13, 2019
Hi, I live in GA. My husband and I purchased a home across the street from our restaurant and converted it into a commercial production kitchen for all of our baked goods. We produce all of our desserts, gelatos, breads, and pastas. We had to rezone commercial, have an architectural plan for city and state health inspectors. We are under the agricultural dept since we don't use this kitchen for any foodstuffs like sauces or anything with meat, fish, or poultry. We are a “bakery” and retail everything out of our restaurant(no dealing with public . Health codes are VERY specific down to the drains you are required to install, mop sinks, trash bins, sanitary flooring and walls, etc. Had to replumb and run proper electricity... Single phase 110v and 220v and 3-phase for equipment. It is a chore and NOT for the feint-hearted...but definately doable. Costed us close to $25k Good luck! Cfrog59

Hi Cynthia, thanks for your input. It's what I'm curious about, hence the reason for my thread. It's good to know that you were able to convert a house into a production space. It all sounds daunting, but it sounds like it's a necessity so you can have house made food products for your restaurant.

I reviewed the state health codes and the plumbing that you mentioned that requires separate drain and mop sink is enough for me to put an end to my fantasy of converting our house to commercial use. It's not worth it for me to do that. Maybe if it were 10 years ago, I would have found a production space of my own but not when I'm nearing retirement. I'll just continue to use the kitchen I've been using, or as I mentioned upthread, I could partner with someone who might be interested in selling my macarons in her bakery.

Thanks again for the responses. I got my answer, as one of the members here tried to tell me earlier in the thread. I would still want to hear from anyone who want to share their experience in this topic though, so I will continue to check for the responses.

Joined Jul 23, 2019
Hi all! I'm new here. I am a pastry chef and have been making French macarons in a rented commercial kitchen for over 7 years now. I am looking to turn a house we don't live in into a food manufacturing establishment or production kitchen. The house has been empty for about 3 years, empty as in we don't live there, but there are appliances in the kitchen, and furniture, etc. We are still paying public utilities for it, and everything else like trash collection, and we still receive mails in it that aren't important. It's our primary resident (Delaware) in paper, but we live about 40 minutes away in another state (Maryland) because it's where my husband and I prefer to live.

Currently, we are unsure of what to do with the house. We are not in a hurry to sell it, because it needs some upgrades and we haven't found a reliable contractor to do the job. So now, I am thinking of possibly getting a certification from gods that be, to turn it into a commercial kitchen.

Has any of you done anything like this? I would like to hear your experience. Thanks!
ou can get licensed under cottage food laws. You would have to meet the necessary requirements for a residential kitchen which are slightly less stringent than commercial kitchens but not as daunting; and you *may* not need a variance for a business if residential kitchens are permitted in that town.

Joined May 5, 2010
"Naturally, I have to use my house to do some processing of the macarons."

You are not allowed to do even that, if your home kitchen is not an approved establishment. No part of the production of anything for sale to the public can be made at home.

Joined Mar 8, 2015
I am a Cottage Food Operation in Pasadena California since Feb 2013. I'm a class B. I wholesale to coffee shops, gift shops, and make corporate gift boxes. I teach classes on How to create your CFO and include aspects of how to build a successful Baking Biz out of your house. Due to Covid, my classes are now virtual via Google Meet. You are welcome to join the next one. My last group had 3 northern CA macaron bakers. Here is the Eventbrite link so you can read about it. Forrager is a podcast dedicated to CFOs. My interview is on it as the accidental cupcakery.
https://www.eventbrite.com/o/sonia-chang-of-chef-sonias-llc-11099558814

Joined May 4, 2005
Any special permits needed for the gelato machine?

Top Bottom