I'm in shock... God bless and protect all of you in New York and in Washington... There is a war going on folks, and I shudder to think how extremely ugly this is going to get in the next few days. How easily we take our safety for granted!
The towers are in the Financial District. Kyle's workplace is just above that, in TriBeCa!
Hey buddy, give us some news whenever you can!
Also, I've been trying for the past 3 hours to get onto CNN.COM.
Here's the latest:September 11, 2001 Posted: 1457 GMT -- NEW YORK (CNN) -- Terrorists struck the United States Tuesday morning in harrowing, widespread attacks that included at least three commercial jet crashes into significant buildings.
• In the first attack, a plane hit the north tower of the World Trade Center in Manhattan shortly before 9 a.m., followed by another plane into the second tower about 20 minutes later. Both towers later collapsed.
• American Airlines Boeing 767 that had been hijacked after take-off from Boston. American Airlines told CNN that it lost two planes in "tragic accidents," one leaving Boston with 81 passengers and 11 crew aboard, and the second leaving Washington Dulles airport with 58 passengers and six crew aboard. Both planes were en route to Los Angeles
• About an hour later, a plane crashed into the Pentagon in Washington, part of which later collapsed.
• Sources say a second plane was heading toward the Pentagon; F-16 jets were in the air monitoring it.
• The Pentagon, the White House, the State Department, the Justice Department, the Capitol, the CIA and all other government buildings in Washington evacuated.
• In the first ever national ground stop of aircraft, all flights nationwide have been stopped at their departure airports.
• All international flights were diverted to Canada.
• Israel has evacuated all its missions around the world.
• President Bush cancelled an appearance in Florida to return to Washington, calling the crashes "apparent terrorist attacks" and "a national tragedy."
• In Chicago, the Sears Tower was evacuated; United Nations in New York evacuated.
• The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta was evacuated.
• The New York Port Authority said it had closed all bridges and tunnels into the city.
• New York's Bellevue Hospital was designated command central for handling the catastrophe. Several hospitals have already reported receiving victims with burns and head injuries.
• Large plane crashed 80 miles south of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, but it was unknown if this crash was connected to terrorist attacks.
• U.S. stock markets were closed after the New York attacks.
I am absolutely in shock and my heart is broken at this. I pray that all on the East Coast are ok. Things are crazy here in Chicago. They have close the airports, the sears tower and the John Hancock building as well as all of the shopping malls. I can't believe this is happening.
NEW YORK, Sept. 11 — It was the scene of a
nightmare: people on fire jumping in terror from the Trade Towers just before the buildings collapsed. “Everyone was screaming, crying, running, cops, people, firefighters, everyone,” said Mike Smith, a fire marshal from Queens, as he sat by the fountain outside the Supreme Court building, shortly after the second tower collapsed. “A couple of marshals just picked me up and dragged me down the street.”
Later, a third plane crashed into the Pentagon in Washington, D.C. Smoke and flames were seen spilling out of the windows. There are reports that people are trapped inside. The Pentagon, the
West Wing of the White House and the Capitol building have all been evacuated over concerns of terrorist threats. All five stories of a section of the Pentagon collapsed.
Fighter jets were seen flying over the White House as security was stepped up.
"It's chaos" said CBC reporter Henry Champ in Washington. He told of people trying to reach relatives over cell phones. "It really is a frightening sight to watch people trying to deal with this."
Shortly after 10:30 ET a Boeing 747 jet crashed in western Pennsylvania, just outside Pittsburgh's main airport. United Airlines confirms flight #93 from Newark to San Francisco crashed near Pittsburgh. United also says it is deeply concerned about the whereabouts of Boston flight #175.
Shortly after that the airline said another plane had crashed but it did not say where.
Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat condemned the attacks, calling them "unbelievable."
REACTION IN CANADA: Airports closed
Planes hit New York landmark
The first plane hit at 8:48 a.m., then a second plane hit the second tower of the Trade Center. The buildings are 110 storeys high. One of the jets that crashed into the towers was reportedly an American Airlines 767 hijacked after it left Boston. The airline says flight #11 had 81 passengers, 9 flight attendants and 2 pilots on board.
American also said it lost flight #77, a Boeing 757 going from Washington Dulles to Los Angeles with 58 passengers, 4 flight attendants and two pilots.
Among the businesses located in the building is the Port Authority Headquarters. There is also a restaurant on the top floor of one of the towers. The building is a popular tourist attraction.
In Feb. 26, 1993 another attack on the building killed six people and injured 1000 others.
The United Nations headquarters in New York was evacuated as a precaution.
It's impossible to express how devastating this event is! Not only have all those lives been lost, but the sense of security that we have as Americans is gone. Will anyone ever feel safe getting onto a domestic flight? Or being in a mjor metropolitan area? I have to believe that those who caused this will be punished in the worst way.
My sis-in-law lives here in CT, and had some friends visiting from Berlin. They were on a train into NYC at 9 this morning. They were going to the World Trade Center! Thank God they had gotten a late start! Everyone I know is either home or on their way.
We were watching all this on CNN in my office in London this afternoon as it happened. My thoughts are with all those who were looking out of the windows and were never able to get out.
Imagine what strong fear and hatred of the US must be in the minds of those who planned and did this. It's very scary, and I hope the reaction on the part of the US will cause peace and not escalation.
I trust all your loved ones are safe. My brother-in-law is due to come to New York to study in two weeks time. We have a small world and need to look after each other.