Turmeric & cancer

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by markv, Jun 10, 2005.

1. markv

markv

2. pinot

pinot

Geeez that scared me for a minute then , I thought someone was saying turmeric caused cancer , which would be big trouble for me !

I use it mostly in stir frys and it works well with almost everything . Sure can stain the bench top though. If you can get it fresh is the best.

3. harpua

harpua

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Turmeric helps lots of things, especially problems involving the colon and digestive problems.

4. eve12

eve12

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I add a 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric to my morning smoothie. And I also mix a pinch of it with honey when I have a sore throat. Works like a charm.

5. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    My favorite cafe makes turmeric lattes. Can't say I like it but it's a popular item.

We add it to all of our Asian-style soups.

6. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Sometimes I make an explosive cocktail, it works wonders for many things... for example when I am starting to feel a sore throat I'll do that: a glass of warm water with a couple of Tbspns Apple Cider vinegar, some turmeric, some cayenne, and some ginger. 

Otherwise I use turmeric in most of my tajines, in couscous, in many indian recipes, some thai recipes, indian curry pastes.... 

If you're lucky you can find fresh turmeric, which is really easy to use, it looks a little bit like ginger except for the bright orange color of the flesh inside: 

7. pdcooks

pdcooks

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I had been reading about this. Having inoperable esophageal cancer and being told I now have a five percent chance of living five years (two months ago) I am quite interested in anything that may help. Thank you for posting this question.

8. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I am not amused by the advertisers who claim that this or that will help prevent cancer.

I just watched helplessly as my sister went through chemo, radiation, and a series of unfortunate problems only to secume to the disease this past December...it was horiible!!!

All the doctors that we spoke to, all the therapists, the radiologists all say the same thing...."you can not prevent cancer."

9. rpooley

rpooley

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Being in medicine, doing some reading, I think I would agree with the overall idea that cancer is a disease of time.  The insults to the DNA of the human body come too fast and furious over the currently long human lifespan (70-80 yrs, compared to 40-50 a hundred years ago) to keep the "barbarians at the gate" forever.  I think all we can do is try to limit exposure to chemical and electromagnetic mutagens to give our repair mechanisms the longest opportunity to fight for us.

10. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Saying "prevent cancer" is part of the sensationalist diet mentality. People are scared of disease, of benign fat, and they are mistakenly told that cont Point their diet gives them a measure of control over their health. Not true. If it was true you wouldn't have world class athletes dropping dead from heart attacks. Some things cannot be prevented. It is worthwhile to eat in a manner that is nutritional. Our bodies work better when we eat more vegetables and limit processed foods and sugar. That's just a hard fact, like how our cars work better if we put gasoline in them as opposed to used frying oil. So it's a good idea to put good fuel in your body. But if you're manipulating your diet and your body put of fear then that's dysfunctional eating. There is even a new eating disorder called orthorexia that has grown over recent years and these people are obsessed with eating "the right thing." Everything has to be organic, pasture raised, grown by hand, made from scratch, with over attention given to include super foods. Anyway that's my rant.

11. jake t buds

jake t buds

Exp:
    Other
    Fresh Tumeric is absolutely delightful. Get and use it with reckless abandon, if you can. 
    I have also lost a loved one due to cancer.

I love how this country is obsessed with finding a cure. There is no cure. Focus on prevention and mitigating the environmental factors that contribute to cancerous growth instead. 

But selling the cure for cancer makes more money. Corporations sidle up to breast cancer month, offering pink this and pink that. It's a smokescreen. Then we get studies that show eating this or that helps prevent cancer. Then in a few years another study is released that says no, that doesn't cause cancer, this does. Have you heard that the maillard effect causes cancer as well as nitrates in your bacon? I'm more concerned with untested chemicals than cured meat.

If we paid more attention to removing carcinogens from the environment, the economy would probably collapse. Increased rates of cancer is collateral damage we accept with progress, I guess. Just like we accept cures for polio, maintaining and treating diabetes, and scores of other advancements. 

And I wonder how there are still battles and litigation over the use of Bisphenol A, and a myriad of other chemicals we routinely and without question use on a daily basis. The incidences of cancer have risen not only because of life expectancy, but because of exposure to chemicals that weren't around at the turn of the century. Breast cancer rates have increased ten fold. And it's not because of the increase of life expectancy. The three main causes of death are heart disease, cancer, and respiratory disease. All due to modernization. Cancer has always existed as a mutation. It's a matter of how often it manifests itself over time. 

I'm not a cancer researcher, but play one on the internet. 

/end rant. 

12. eve12

eve12

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Does anyone know where I can find the actual turmeric root, as shown in the picture? I have the powdered form and i'd imagine it probably doesn't have the same potency.

13. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I have seen it in Asian markets.

eve12 likes this.
  14. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Raley's and Safeway where I am carry it on a regular basis.

eve12 likes this.
  15. eve12

eve12

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Thanks Chefbuba and Cheflayne!