turkey talk - flash frying

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by millionsknives, Nov 7, 2016.

1. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I am going to be on a bit of a schedule this thanksgiving with picking up relatives and a shortened cooking time.  I am going to do ballotines with two 15-16 lb turkeys for both time and space reasons.  I'd love to spatchcock and go hot at 450F but my grills are just too small for two turkeys like this.

I have two options on the smoker (i don't even own an oven):

-Go hotter 325-350 for the crispy skin and hope it cooks evenly enough that the breast meat doesn't dry out

-Go low and slow 250-300F so I know it will all cook through evenly

I am leaning to option 2 and then ladling hot wok oil over these things.  Much like I would do on peking duck.  Has anybody tried this and will the skin split on me?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  2. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I guess I will test it on chicken and keep the results to myself

3. rpooley

rpooley

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Sorry.  I was quiet because I had nothing helpful to offer.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smoking.gif

4. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Hehe long week I will update with results this weekend

5. rpooley

rpooley

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I don't know what to do with 2 but with one turkey, I take off the leg/thigh, remove the thigh bone, fill with stuffing and tie with a roast half-hitch knot.  These are roasted until done.  The breast has the backbone removed and placed in a roasting pan over a big bed of stuffing.  Stuffing gets hot enough by the time the breast is done.  Backbone goes for stock for gravy.  None of this probably helps you.  :)