turkey and rosemary

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by ojosverdes, Sep 22, 2005.

1. ojosverdes

ojosverdes

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering how well turkey and fresh rosemary mix (the taste I mean). I have soup recipe I wanted to try but bought rosemary when I was supposed to buy something else (too much green stuff bunched together confused me in my 8 1/2 month of pregnancy :crazy: sheepish grin)
    It is just a normal turkey soup recipe but the cooking time is so long I don't want to make it if it ends up tasting weird because I used the wrong ingredient. What are your opinions? Leave it out or go for it? I would use about 3 sprigs.
    Thanks and have a great day.

2. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I love rosemary with turkey, but be careful as it can easily overwhelm. I would start out with 1 sprig, leaves chopped and add at the end of making your soup. You can add more from there. Remember, it is easier to add things than take away flavor.

3. sucrechef

sucrechef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I agree with Pete, it is always easier to add more later than to take away. The Rosemary MUST be added toward the end of the cooking time or it will develop off flavors. Let us know how it turned out. Question...what herb was it supposed to be anyway :confused: might help to know in case the rosemary will clash with any other flavors you may be adding. Be careful with the amount of rosemary...fresh it is VERY powerful.

4. ojosverdes

ojosverdes

Thanks to both of you for your advice. I will be sure to follow what you said. The recipe called for thyme and I came home with rosemary. Still looking forward to the outcome though. I will let you know if it works out.

:lips: