tuna sandwich

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by siduri, Aug 19, 2010.

1. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    In another thread some people asked for a tuna sandwich recipe. 

Everyone loves mine. 

chop:

1 carrot

1 stalk celery

1 onion (red., sweet, or a scallion with all the green)

a tomato (if you can find a good one) (or 2 or 3 cherry tomatoes)

Good, real, mayonnaise.  (Here we have a very good one, calve', but in the states, i find even the hellmans to be tasteless, so add a little lemon, if you use the bottled one.  I've made it from scratch for tuna salad and it's wonderful). 

Parsley

chives (optional)

capers (optional)

Add a couple of cans of DARK MEAT TUNA (the white stuff tastes like rags), well drained of oil or water. 

mix it all up so the tuna is in smaller pieces (but not homogeneous)

Add enough mayonnaise to hold it together so you can pick it up in a mound in a spoon. 

Put it on soft whole wheat or white bread or rolls, or on a crusty roll, ciabatta, or whatever. 

Alternatively:

my husband has fond memories of being a student in rome and going to one of the many small neighborhood grocery stores, asking them to open up a rosetta (small, crusty roll) and having them open a can of tuna (dark meat is all they have here) in oil, and put it in the bread, oil and all.  He said it was wonderful.  (I find it too oily, but he says that's where all the taste is!)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  2. adiian

adiian

Exp:
    At home cook
    Sounds good. I like the combination of tuna meat from a can with sliced eggs. 

3. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    If I served dark canned tuna, they would send it back. Solid white albacore in water only.

4. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Just goes to show you that everyone likes their tuna sandwich different.  My hubby likes lots of celery and onion in his (too crunchy), my best friend puts potato chips right into her sandwich for more crispness (don't they get soggy?) .  My Mom wants lots of lemon juice, a little mustard and only a drop of mayo (too sour).  My Dad likes his with toasted bread and slices of tomato, lettuce and lots of ground pepper (aaaaaachooo!).

Me?  I like my tuna packed in water, drained, then mixed with salt, dill relish, and as much hellmans mayo as I can put in without being accused of "want some tuna with your mayo?"  Fresh and soft slices of whole wheat bread are my favorite, and the amount of tuna salad on my sandwich should be no more in thickness than a slice of bread.  Utz plain potato chips are the mandatory accompaniment.

I used to always get dark meat tuna (Starkist) but in recent years I've seen the quality go down drastically.  I now buy white albacore tuna but would prefer a decent can of dark meat if one was available.

5. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    I know lots of americans think dark tuna is gross but when mixed in with all those ingredients, and in the sandwich, it won't be noticed.  I've had some pretty squeamish americans enjoy my sandwiches. 

6. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Tuna Salad to feed a lot of kids cheap

1  66 oz can chunk light tuna   Drain and SAVE the water\and the empty can

1 head celery washed and fine dice

1 pint Good Mayo

dash of worchestire black pepper 3 T real lemon juice

Fill empty can 3/4 with cracker meal  add the water you drained from tuna mix together.  Now add this mixture to the tuna salad which you have already mixed together.. Let sit in fridge at least 2-3 hours  Ok now its ready, almost double the amount by weight of tuna salad..Almost impossible to detect the cracker meal because it absorbs the water from tuna. Similar to adding textured soy protein.  Some brands of tuna salad, chopped liver and chicken salad that come already made do this. Always check the labels( Panko crumbs can be used also but cracker meal works the best.

7. bughut

bughut

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Tuna in brine drained

Chopped red onion capers, gherkins, tarragon black pepper and celery

The only time I use Hellmans light...50:50 with greek yogurt

Grated lemon zest and a squeeze of juice

Piled high on well toasted granary bread and served with my ubiquitous rocket and red onion salad (seems to go with absolutely everything) simple evoo salt and blackpepper dressing

Healthy yet scrummy

PS. Also works really well with smoked mackerel

8. gypsy2727

gypsy2727

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yes it is so true we all like our tuna differently.....even in my family my mom made a big batch of water based canned tuna for all of us plain  with S&P and MIRACLE WHIP!   ( yuk) oh well she had a family of 7 to feed on the cheap! She did put lettuce in the side for those who prefered a little crunch.....Later I found out her true recipe was with Hellmans, small diced celery, fresh dill and scallions outta her garden. and capers too....but my dad and everyon else shut that down! She's back eating what she wants for the past while now being retired for over 15 years and my dad gives in to whatever is on the table ...most of the time he's just happy my mom still cooks for him as he does not know what is in the fridge ....he coudn't tell you where the can opener was!

My recipe only my kids like ,,,I've brought them up on it ,,,,toasted on whole wheat although I found the most amazing gluten free bread store in a town called Port Perry bread is like $4 a loaf it.It does contain more suger than usual but toastd with tuna ,,,,to die for and I also had it in a ladies lunch menu that was well received.

Water based canned whole white tuna

Hellmans whole Mayo

Green apple  brunoise

fresh chopped green onion

fresh celery brunoise

fresh chopped dill

No salt just pepper as I find tuna packed in the can salty enough

9. paulaspencer

paulaspencer

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    When the dark tuna is marinated with balsamic vinegar, red onions, salt, black pepper it is never noticed.

10. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Paula et als,

What is the point. Dark tuna in oil usually is more expensive to begin with. So if you're mixing in things that cover up its stronger flavor, may as well start with albacore in water to begin with.

The ultimate in this had to be Giada. The other day she was using tuna in a pasta dish. Specified that it had to be Italian dark tuna. She then poured the oil away "because it sometimes tastes on the fishy (doesn't she mean "tuna?") side" and replaced it with fresh oil.

So the only reason to specify imported tuna, seems to me, was for the snob factor. Obviously she's not into the stronger taste.

11. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    It's more than taste, KY, it's texture.  The white stuff is dry dry dry.  I can get dark tuna in water too, and it's not dry.  It's not the oil that makes it tasty or less dry - it's the kind of meat.  Like the difference between white meat and dark meat in chicken.  Some, obviously, prefer breast meat, but really, in a lot of cases (most maybe?) they;re put off by the color.  Breast meat in chicken is drier and stringier, and the same for tuna. 

If i buy chicken  parts, i usually buy thighs and if i need a fillet, i do it to the dark meat (admittedly i do use breasts sometimes when i want something in a hurry, but always have to compensate for its tastelessness and dryness in the way of cooking - it takes more effort. 

Same for tuna,

Anyway, i've made my tuna salad for VERY finicky americans who would never have touched dark tuna - even kids - and no one noticed.  They all said how come the tuna sandwiches we have at home are not as good. 

As for draining the oil, i always do too, because the oil in tuna is rarely good quality.  I prefer to use better oil in my food. 

12. gypsy2727

gypsy2727

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    There is no right or wrong way when it comes to "canned tuna" It is all a matter of preference. It's canned tuna for goodness sakes!...Some like the oil others don't. Some like dark meat others don't ...Live and let live ...celebrate the almighty canned tuna ...I do not see it going off the market any time soon no matter what the flavour.

13. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Tuna, finely chopped onion, chopped pickle, chopped celery, chopped green olives, Miracle Whip (I like it better than mayo /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif ) all piled on cheap white bread. It is a comfort food thing that I had when growing up!

14. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    Forgive me - but what the heck is dark tuna?  I am assuming what is generally available here is white - can't say I've ever seen any tuna described as dark.

Enlightenmant please, if someone has the time?  And albacore - just interested, I just really don't know what it is.  Language /img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif

My favourite tuna sandwich....I like pretty much all the suggestiions above, but to be honest, just the taste of brined tuna on good thick white bread and lashings of butter with a loads of cracked black pepper does it for me.

KYH - that's hilarious that tuna could taste "fishy".  Umm, my brain retracts into the fetal position at her statement./img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

15. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hi DC,

Your question stimulated me to look on internet.  I thought that, like chicken, tuna had  has dark and light meat.  Instead it seems it comes from different kinds of tunas, that is different species of tuna.  The one you get here in Italy is dark and called "yellowfin" but there are other types of dark.  The white albacore tuna is more popular in the states and i imagine possibly other places, the dark in Italy, and probably the whole mediterranean but i'm not sure. 

You may not have it in your local store, but there being so many Italian immigrants in Australia, i bet you would find it in specialty shops or supermarkets in neighborhoods that have lots of italian immigrants.  It's always been like that in the states.

It would generally be packed in oil, but it can be in water too. 

It's definitely less dry and more tasty - but i guess if someone doesn;t like fishy tasting fish, they may prefer the white. 

I just read also that since the white albacore they use for white tuna is generally bigger and older, it has more mercury!  Another good reason to try the dark (or as it's sold in the US, "light" as opposed to "white" - weird, like calling chicken breasts "white meat" and legs "light meat"

16. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I once made fresh tuna steaks for dinner.  Pan seared with wasabi/soy sauce paste, and sesame seeds and lots of black cracked pepper.  Unfortunately I overcooked them and they were dry.  To save the day I flaked them and made them into tuna salad.  Delicious!!! If you've never made tuna salad with fresh tuna then you haven't really tasted tuna salad.

17. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    You beat me to the punch about them being different species, Siduri.

But, tastewise, your analogy to white and dark chicken is pretty good. Dark tuna has a deeper, richer flavor than white. In general (although it's slowly changing), Americans do not care for strong tasting fish. That's why tilapia is so popular, for instance. So it makes sense that the white tuna is more appealing here.

Dark tuna, because it's mostly imported, is generally more expensive than white or light. That's why I was confused by the people who insist that by the time they're finished you can't tell the difference. Why pay extra for a more flavorsome product, then add things that cover up it's difference?

Not only on this tread. My reference to Giada was about that very thing; she's a snob who insists that anything from Italy is automatically better than anything from the U.S. Doesn't matter that she took that Italian dark tuna and made it taste like American white. The dish had to be better by definition, because it started with Italian tuna.

It's like the San Marzano tomato thing. I'm willing to bet you good money that if I made a dish, half with San Marzano (whatever is really meant by that, as there are at least six tomatoes called San Marzano) and half with another plum tomato, such as DePinto, Giada couldn't begin to tell them apart in a blind taste test.

BTW, any tuna packed in oil will have a better flavor than the same tuna in water. Here, again, with our passion against fats and oils, water-packed is more popular. But there's a definate flavor difference.

18. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    That's because i have the time zones on my side, KY!

About the san marzanos, i heard but never really got the whole story, that there are no more real san marzano tomatoes, they;re extinct.  I know there are plenty they call by that name but i have to go ask my tomato expert - a guy at the market who has at least fifteen to twenty types of tomato each in three stages of ripeness - green,, mature and wrinkled.  If you ask for tomatoes for sauce, he will say "what type of sauce?" ah, fish sauce. "What kind of fish?" and he will go through taking a little of this and a little of that and it's always unbelievably good.  (apparently shrimp need a different type of tomato or something).  Same if you want it for meat sauce or pasta caprese (he gives you tomatoes that will disintegrate in the hot pasta so there are no pieces left at the bottom of the bowl). 

If i remember when i go there to ask, i'll let you know. 

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  19. gypsy2727

gypsy2727

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I love dark tuna also.....it is bottom of the barrel cheap here in Ontario....I have a ton of friends  and customers who like the dark meat..... including me .....We do although, all agree that dark tuna has enough oil in it for flavour ...why pack in oil then rinse it off?

20. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Rinse off?  I just pull up the top of the can (all the cans are with a ring pull here) and press on the lid over the sink to remove the excess oil.  If i'm making pasta sauce or rice salad or something, i replace it with better quality olive oil.  Rinsing would remove more than the oil, it would remove the taste, no?