Tuilles

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by anna w., Mar 25, 2002.

1. anna w.

anna w.

How far in advance can you make these and what is a good way to store them?

2. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    It depends on the weather; sometimes they'll hold up for a few days, other times (on humid days) you have to make them the same day. Keep them in an airtight container, and if possible, keep some silica gel nearby if you're worried about humidity.

3. w.debord

w.debord

I had a couple recipes that held up to freezing. Then there are those that are VERY humidity sensitive like Momoreg mentions. Not to mentions ones that I swear no one could shape fast enough...

What are you doing with them Anna? Depending upon your needs there are similar recipes that will give you longer shelf holding times like using a hippen paste (this can give VERY cool results) or a florentine type recipe.

4. anna w.

anna w.

I want to use them to make oversized fortune cookies as a wedding favor (this is not an original idea but an old one from Martha) but am looking for a way to make them 2-3 days ahead of time.

P.S. I am only a mile from Lake Erie so humidity in the summer months is a huge consideration.

5. w.debord

w.debord

That eliminates what I was saying. You'd be better following Momoregs advice with this...two days should be fine if you wrap well. You can test your batter and see how well it holds. Also tuile batter holds in the cooler several days so it's one step less at the last minute.

6. lotuscakestudio

lotuscakestudio

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    When I externed for The Brass Elephant, we made them in mini cup shapes once a week. They were stored a fish bucket. They actually seem to keep just fine.

A trip down memory lane... When I worked there, I made myself a stencil from a plastic lid by trimming off most of the lip, leaving just a small amount left which left me something to grab onto. Then cut out a circle in the middle of it. This helped me move a lot faster, but I could still only do no more than 6 at a time. I would take them out of the oven (which was placed in a hard to reach area), start yelling "HOT PAN! HOT PAN!" to clear everyone out of my way, then manuever myself around the kitchen and run to my station to form them between tiny brioche tins. At first I could do no more than 3 or 4, but was soon able to work my way up to "the standard amount", 6 being the amount Lord **** Chef thought you should do at a time, as anything less was a reason to get yelled at. :p on him!

7. lotuscakestudio

lotuscakestudio

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Weird. I tried to type in **** chef and it censored that word. Well, it *is* a four letter word. Hmmmm....

8. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    LCS,
    I had to edit your last post.

9. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    I've got a Ginger Tuile recipe I used doing pastry in a restaurant. It might work for you; the finished tuiles held up several days in a tightly closed plastic box. I used a template to spread the batter into thin strips, and shaped the baked tuiles by spinning them around a pair of chopsticks. You could make circles and shape them as desired. The recipe came from the chef, Gary Robins:*

1 lb. sugar
    1 lb. butter
    2 tsp. ginger juice
    2 to 3 tsp ground ginger
    375 grams flour (ap)
    1 lb. egg whites

Cream butter, sugar, and ginger juice well. Add flour/ginger alternately with egg whites. Mix until butter is completely incorporated. Let rest before using.

*although he may have gotten it from somewhere else; all I know is I got it from him.

10. isaac

isaac

any good recipes?

11. lotuscakestudio

lotuscakestudio

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Momoreg,
    I'm really curious as to why that word is not allowed as it's not a swear. Thanks.

12. yfr

yfr

Hi LotusCake Studio
    Brass Elefhant- Are you talking about the "GODS" of the country fair group? if so I agree with your coments.

13. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    LCS,
    Please read your PM.

14. chiffonade

chiffonade

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I've made them as much as 3 days in advance for shee-shee dinners. I made ribbon cookies which are the same principle as tuilles, just wrapped around the handle of a wooden spoon.

Keep them...

* In an airtight container such as a large tupperware.
    * If they are flat, put pieces of paper towel between the layers.
    * If they are like ribbons, make sure they don't get bounced around too much or they will definitely break.
    * Store in an out of the way place so they don't get broken.