trying to recreate grandmother's tea cake/sugar cookie recipe

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by ballerinamom, Sep 27, 2010.

1. ballerinamom

ballerinamom

Exp:
    At home cook
    My grandmother passed away from Alzheimer's and for years I have been trying to find the missing piece from her well loved tea cake cookies.  She was from the south and I have wondered if she mixed her ingredients using a flour bowl, which would explain why there is no mention of flour in her handwritten recipe:

Here goes:  3 egg yolks beat whites still stiff, 3 cups sugar, 3 ??baking powder, 1 tsp. salt, 1 c.crisco, 1 c. milk.  This is all I have on a little sheet of pink paper.  I would love to recreate the cookie for my dad, he was her favorite : )

2. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    First off, Ballerinamom, welcome to Cheftalk. Hope you like it here, and become an active member of the community.

Anyway, after reading a couple of dozen recipes for tea cake cooking, I'd have to guess that your ingredients need to be mixed with about 4 1/2 cups flour. Most recipes of that nature (that is, the ones not calling for self-rising flour) work off twos: two eggs, 2 cups sugar, etc. And they call for, variously, 2 1/2 to 4 cups of flour.

The baking powder in your ingredient list should refer to teaspoons.

Let us know how this works out.