Trying to perfect a chili paste for kimchi.

Joined Jun 24, 2015
Hey new to kimchi, trying to get a chili paste going. Been using the korean chili flakes, garlic and onion powde,r a little tumeric, lime and fish sauce. Next time I think ill try adding sugar? I just think its a bitter for my taste with no sugar so I think i need to change something. The fish sauce makes it plenty salty, and right now I perfer it over salt in most things right now.

The only other though: what do you think of making kimchi but use chipotle instead of the korean chili? Might be interesting.

Thanks guys!

Joined May 5, 2010
It depends on the greens you may be using. I don't know your recipe. I make mine with Napa cabbage, mustard greens, green onion.

If these impart a bitter taste then add a little sugar. I use Korean chili powder in mine.

Joined Jun 24, 2015
Ok so it sounds like your recipe is solid, though the mustard greens would be interesting. I am a fan of the korean chili though I was just trying to come up with different ideas.

Thanks

Joined Jun 24, 2015
Oh... thats completely different. Wish I had a nice pot like that, but im sure it wont be a deal breaker. The second thing is its starting to get cold so im not sure how much sun I will have.

I will look into this and let you know if it works out!

Joined Apr 4, 2012
If you have a market near you that sells gochugaru (the flakes) they should also have good gochujang. I'm betting most Koreans no longer ferment their own gochujang these days, even though I think most people do still make their own kimchi--using the commercially prepared paste. I have a few Korean cookbooks and they seem to consider commercially prepared gochujang to be a completely acceptable--in fact--essential-- ingredient.

Top Bottom