Trying to figure out our 4th item for our treat boxes

Joined Oct 25, 2019
We want to add a 4-items treat box, holiday/theme style so people can gift it to someone like Father’s Day, Easter, end of summer, halloween etc or just curiousity to try different flavours for personal consumption.

we want to make sure the items are tolerable and safe to eat at room temperature for over a period of time that doesn’t require refrigeration. So far we got cupcake, nyc style 4oz cookie, brownie, they need no explanation, they are adaptable to do different flavours and can last at room temperature.

So we need one more item but we are having a bit of difficult time figuring it out. We thought of donuts but gonna dry out by the end of day which isn’t good. We thought of tarts but kinda limited to what we can do flavour wise because most flavours would contain high level of eggs, dairy/milk products that we can’t leave it out and kinda stuck with fruit based/cornstarch/flour type of tarts.

we need ideas that is a great dessert vehicle like cupcake, cookie and brownie and we change different flavours no problem and safe to leave it out at room temperature.

thank for the help :)

chefpeon

Kitchen Dork
Joined Jun 15, 2006
Actually, since you mentioned tarts.........I just recently made Canadian Butter Tarts because I've always wanted to try them. They're crazy about 'em up there, and I now see why. I think they're fantastic. Not only that, they're hella easy and are great if not preferable at room temp. I make mine with scratch-made puff pastry. They're my favorite thing right now.

Joined Oct 25, 2019
Intriguing…
Gourmet Chocolate Bark
Tempering chocolate isn’t my strongest suit… but fun idea
Actually, since you mentioned tarts.........I just recently made Canadian Butter Tarts because I've always wanted to try them. They're crazy about 'em up there, and I now see why. I think they're fantastic. Not only that, they're hella easy and are great if not preferable at room temp. I make mine with scratch-made puff pastry. They're my favorite thing right now.
Not sure about butter tart because of the lack of versatility to do different flavours… but Canadian like their butter tarts here, it crazy lol

Joined Nov 27, 2012
1200px-Caneles_stemilion.jpg
canelles would be a great choice. they are the bomb when done properly. And you can go crazy with the toppings, flavors or fillings.

chefpeon

Kitchen Dork
Joined Jun 15, 2006
View attachment 70368
canelles would be a great choice. they are the bomb when done properly. And you can go crazy with the toppings, flavors or fillings.
I think Caneles would be awesome too. I love those things. I just want to reiterate how important it is to do them right though, because if they aren't done right, they're not worth doing. I know this because for years insisted I could get away with using silicone molds and not using beeswax and they'd be fine.

Until.

A friend of mine loaned me her copper molds so I could do them the way you're supposed to. My husband was a beekeeper and I had plenty of wax. I realized then what a huge difference those two things made and I determined my silicone mold caneles were essentially garbage.

The two big drawbacks are the cost of the molds and dealing with the beeswax mess. The mess isn't so bad if you just wait for the wax to harden so you can scrape it off whatever pans it gets on. Don't try to rinse it off......you'll have a bad time. :p

Joined Oct 25, 2019
Canele is a cool idea… I have 4 of those copper molds… they are quite pricey lol … I made them a few times at home for curiosity to taste what they are like … they are a little on the messy side to deal with the wax lol

Joined Nov 27, 2012
argentinian empanadas have a nice ring to them as well.
I think Caneles would be awesome too. I love those things. I just want to reiterate how important it is to do them right though, because if they aren't done right, they're not worth doing. I know this because for years insisted I could get away with using silicone molds and not using beeswax and they'd be fine.

Until.

A friend of mine loaned me her copper molds so I could do them the way you're supposed to. My husband was a beekeeper and I had plenty of wax. I realized then what a huge difference those two things made and I determined my silicone mold caneles were essentially garbage.

The two big drawbacks are the cost of the molds and dealing with the beeswax mess. The mess isn't so bad if you just wait for the wax to harden so you can scrape it off whatever pans it gets on. Don't try to rinse it off......you'll have a bad time. :p
they just rock don't they?

chefpeon

Kitchen Dork
Joined Jun 15, 2006
Isn’t that the same thing as tart? …just in folded dough .. limited flavours as well at room temperature
Limited flavors? Are you kidding? Hand pies give you lots of flavor options and they’re superior if not preferable at room temperature. Plus, pie is popular for a reason. I’ve never ever had trouble selling pies because people are crazy for them.

Joined Dec 29, 2019
We want to add a 4-items treat box, holiday/theme style so people can gift it to someone like Father’s Day, Easter, end of summer, halloween etc or just curiousity to try different flavours for personal consumption.

we want to make sure the items are tolerable and safe to eat at room temperature for over a period of time that doesn’t require refrigeration. So far we got cupcake, nyc style 4oz cookie, brownie, they need no explanation, they are adaptable to do different flavours and can last at room temperature.

So we need one more item but we are having a bit of difficult time figuring it out. We thought of donuts but gonna dry out by the end of day which isn’t good. We thought of tarts but kinda limited to what we can do flavour wise because most flavours would contain high level of eggs, dairy/milk products that we can’t leave it out and kinda stuck with fruit based/cornstarch/flour type of tarts.

we need ideas that is a great dessert vehicle like cupcake, cookie and brownie and we change different flavours no problem and safe to leave it out at room temperature.

thank for the help :)
oatmeal square, magic bars (the graham ,choc chip, coconut with condensed milk on top thing.)
palmier last all week. viennese cookies, scottish shortbread. They're all shelf stable.

Joined Feb 18, 2007
You could also do marshmallows, cake truffles, sugared pecans, a nut brittle .... or your own interpretation of "cookie fries" - shortbread sticks and a dipping sauce.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom