Trying to decide between Mac Pro or Elephant Sabatier

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by stephenb, Dec 5, 2009.

1. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If you like the Nenox, consider the Hattori FH.  The knives are very similar as both reportedly were designed by Hattori-san.  And the FH is around 1/2 the price.

2. trooper

trooper

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Quote:
    I did some extensive reading on zknives site - and as much as I am angry and upset with him, you, knife/blade forums and every other qualified person that has given me guidance on the subject -

I have to accept the fact that in spite of my love for the -design- of the Nenox 270mm Gyuto, I cannot justify the expense of buying a tool that is less capable than the one I already own.    ; (

I'm really looking at the options/alternative suggestions you all have been giving me. From my POV, it is about geometry, fit and feel.... The steel/hardness question has always been black-box to me.

Someone like me will assume that a japanese or quality Western knife is going to have good steel. Someone like me can tell the difference between crap, stamped and 420-grade "forged" crap - but never gets into the details of a specific high-performance steel, and how it is manufactured into a given knife.

I just want to cut carrots, primals and pasta dough... Just use the best tool for the job and be happy.

Sadly - the more research that is done - the more education that comes with it. And once information is provided - it cannot be stuffed back into the black-box of denial. (Otherwise iId have already ordered the Nenox)

GAH! So in spite of this rant, and stealing the subject of this thread... It seems that the enigma of specific steel and treatment methods have to factor into my buying considerations now. no more black box.

Ignorance is Bliss.