Trying to create a memorable Breakfast/Brunch

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by carnivorous1, May 20, 2002.

1. carnivorous1

carnivorous1

I'm the chef/co-owner of a Prime steakhouse which is expanding into a new market. Our restaurant is an old-world, classic American "chop house" with Irish undertones. Our new store will be featuring a breakfast/brunch which I don't want to treat as merely an afterthought. I'd appreciate any input you might have on incorporating traditional Irish elements into a great American breakfast/brunch. I look forward to your thoughts!!

(eatbeef)

2. w.debord

w.debord

Is this a buffet situation or a ala carte?

3. chiffonade

chiffonade

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Unfortunately, it's made its way almost to cliche status, but I can't resist a well made Eggs Benedict. There are variations to this theme - like Cuban Eggs Benedict which include Cuban bread, chorizo and a hollandaise made with brunoise of hot pepper. Incredible stuff.

* An array of croissants and other breakfast pastries is a must.
    * The most decadent French toast you can come up with.
    * Fluffy omelettes...possibly made in the dining room.
    * Best quality, full-fat yogurt with fresh fruit and home-made granola, served parfait-style.
    * Whole grain, interesting pancakes with choices of home-made fruit toppings (not that gloppy crap like canned pie filling...bleah).
    * Interesting fruit juices and juice-combos - i.e. Blood Orange juice in season, pineapple juice...
    * The world's best home-fries.

* Mimosas!

4. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Get some wonderful Irish salmon and cure it - maybe with some Irish whiskey (there was a thread recently on this, if you do a search). Serve it on an oat scone, with some creme fraiche.

Colcannon cakes - potato/kale pancakes. I have some wonderful Irish bread and 'biscuit' recipes; let me know if you want them. And all the wonderful things chif suggested.

5. isa

isa

Ginger scones! :lips:

6. carnivorous1

carnivorous1

The breakfast would be a la carte, not a buffet. Eggs Benedict are a must, and I like the idea of doing some whole grain pancakes (buckwheat, oats) with fresh fruit and seasonal fresh fruit juices (thanks chiffonade).
    As far as the cured salmon, I think it would be a great fit (I actually started the thread about a month ago on advice for curing salmon).
    Marmalady - your colcannon pancakes sound really interesting. I've already lined up some great Irish soda bread and orange-currant scones.
    I'm fairly new to this site and I have to say that I tell just about everone i know about it. Running a "chophouse" is great fun, but lets face it, the fare is limited and can leave a chef feeling stale or out of touch with the culinary world. This site provides me the oppurtunity to get in touch with people who are just as passionate about food as I am.
    To whomever is running this site, keep up the good work!!

(eatbeef)

7. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    How about a Guinness with those bangers and eggs? :)

Here's the menu for the last brunch I did... served over 4 hours.

Eggs Benedict
    Shrimp and Scallop Terrine with Nantua Chaud Froid
    Roast Lamb Roulade with petit Potatoes Chateau and Peas
    Laphroig Lox
    Caesar salad
    Bagels, Danishes
    Trifle
    Mimosas, coffee, iced tea

Old fashioned but pretty satisfying

Bangers! Make a variety of bangers. Some made with toasted malt rusk, some with parsley, some using veal, etc.

Cream cheese and preserves stuffed inside a real thick piece of French Toast is always a winner.

A slab of bacon cured Pancetta style with lots of pepper and honey brushed on it before service is awesome. Technically this would be a what? A pork back bacon pastrami roulade?

Of course! Tableside crepe service! Ooh! That would be great!

I gotta stop...

Kuan

8. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Oatmeal served with 1/2 and 1/2 brown sugar, dried and fresh fruit your own little set up with ramekins.

I had brunch at Malmaison in St. Albans a month ago and the chef made rosti potatoes, smoked salmon, poached eggs and a hollandaise...garnished with asparagus and drops of basalmic and pesto oil. beautiful.....the rest of the table had raisin brioche french toast with blueberry syrup.

9. compassrose

compassrose

One of the most popular items at a local Brit-style place round here (back when they were still serving brunch) was a corned-beef hash, served with a poached egg nestled prettily in a hollow on top.

Myself, I've always been fond of breakfast bread pudding, or strata; you could lend it an Irish touch by using soda bread and Irish cheese for a savoury strata, or do a sweet one with apples and currants.

10. henry

henry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Decadent cinnamon rolls with brandied raisins and glaze;
    Eggs benedict but put poached egg on crabcake or artichoke heart instead of english muffin;
    bread pudding with butterscotch bourbon sauce (I use the recipe on the Wild Turkey website and add toasted pecans to it);
    I do the poached egg on the hash mentioned above--its a great way to use ends of prime rib or tenderloin;
    breakfast fruit parfaits using homeade granola, good yogurt, and lots of fresh sweet strawberries mixed with other ripe berries topped with garden fresh mint sprigs;
    Compote of berries which have been marinated in a ginger/peach schnapps/mint sauce;
    Another use for your left-over beef--yummy quesadillias stuffed with beef and cheeses toped with fresh-made salsas.

H.

11. kimmie

kimmie

Kippered Eggs
    Eggy Bread
    Soda Bread
    Scones
    Mixed grill including: Traditional Black Pudding, Traditional White Pudding, Traditional Irish Bacon (Important note: Irish Bacon is not cooked crisp hard), Traditional Irish Sausages, Poached Egg & Haddock , Potato griddled cakes
    http://www.irishfestivals.net/boxty.htm

Grilled cherry tomatoes
    Muesli
    Irish Marmalades and preserves
    Irish Breakfast Tea

Angels on Horseback
    INGREDIENTS
    12 slices of Traditional Regular Bacon
    24 oysters.
    Method
    Cut each slice of bacon across in two. Stretch the pieces by placing them flat on a board and stretching them with the back of a knife. Place one oyster on each bacon slice and wrap up. Secure with cocktails or skewers. Grill under a medium heat, turning frequently, until the bacon is crisp. Drain on kitchen paper. Serve plain or on rounds of hot buttered toast.

Devils on Horseback
    Use 24 prunes, soaked overnight and stoned, or 24 fresh dates, instead of oysters.

Genies on Horseback
    Use 12 Traditional Sausages ( Bangers ), halved, instead of the oysters.
    Serves 6 to 8

Black Pudding and Vegetable Casserole
    INGREDIENTS:
    2 Traditional Black Puddings, skinned and sliced
    2 potatoes, peeled and diced
    2 carrots, pared and sliced
    1 large leek, sliced
    2 onions, peeled and sliced
    1/4 small white cabbage, shredded
    1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
    Optional: 1 chicken stock cube
    Salt & pepper to taste
    2 tablespoonfuls of oil

Method
    Put the prepared onions, carrots, potatoes and leek into a large non-stick skillet with about 4 cups of boiling water. Add stock cube if desired. Cover and cook until the vegetables are almost tender, for 25 to 30 minutes. Add the cabbage and the kidney beans and cook for 5 minutes more. Saute the slices of black pudding in oil until they are crisp on the outside. Gently stir into vegetables and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the seasoning and serve hot with bread or rolls.
    Serves 4 to 6

12. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Worked with a Scottich chef who did a whisky, honey and oats parfait; I'm sure you could tweak it with Irish ingredients.