Trying something new

Joined Aug 8, 2020
Sunday is my daughter's 2nd birthday, Saturday night I'm marinating ribs never done this before so looking for suggestions for a homemade marinade

Joined Aug 15, 2003
Probably a brine is better than a marinade, I would look into that. Plus you could flavor it however you liked.

Rubbing the ribs before you put them on the smoker would be good too.

Joined Aug 15, 2003
Any recommendations on a good brine?
I mean, not really...there must be 1000's of brine recipe's on the internet you could look up and pick one you think you'd like.

A real basic brine is 1 c. kosher salt for 1 gal. water.

You can add whatever you want to the brine for flavoring...herbs, spices, garlic, onions/mirepox, whiskey (cook alcohol off first), beer....there's even some vinegar brines that might work OK for pork ribs.

Personally, I'd favor a simple brine, maybe some herbs and garlic in addition to the salt. I'd put most of my "flavor" in the rub and sauce, if I'm using sauce. I'd avoid sugar in the brine (the rub will most likely contain brown sugar, as will the sauce if you're using, so I wouldn't want the meat to be too sweet)

The brine will help ensure the meat stays moist during the long smoking/cooking process and is seasoned.

Joined Sep 17, 2018
I've actually never marinated or brined ribs before smoking. Only done dry rubs. With all the fat in the ribs does a brine make a noticeable difference in moisture?

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
If you have never done it before I would do a light and quick brine.

8 quarts water
2 cups kosher salt
1 cup sugar (may use 1 cup honey as substitute)

To this you may add:

Lots of clove and whole black peppercorns.

Rosemary.

Whole garlic clove.

Onions.

Bring to boil 4 quarts and combine. Allow salt and sugar to dissolve fully. Add the other 4 quarts to cool the solution. When the solution has cooled to room temperature submerge the pork ribs for three hours. I've never done pork ribs but since you're doing it for the first time you don't want to overdo it and have a bad experience. Three hours should be sufficient. Cook them low and slow with a rub of your choice.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Another marinade idea:

Vietnamese ribs:

Lemongrass, cilantro, spring onions, garlic, chili, fish sauce, served with nuoc cham and peanuts, pickled daikon and carrots, asian herbs....

Joined Nov 5, 2007
What ribs, exactly? Pork spares? Loin backs? Country style "ribs"? Or are thinking of doing beef ribs?

mjb.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I prefer to dry brine my spare, or St. Louis ribs. Just an old habit from back in my BBQ restaurant days. Celery salt, pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, a little cumin, and a little brown sugar - not too much. Low and slow and you be alright.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Does it really matters?
It depends on what the original poster is hoping for as an end result. Chinese char sui works better on country style ribs than spares. Carolina vinegar sauce on beef ribs would be kind of odd, but at home on pork baby backs. Basically I asked because I wanted C chef leitheiser to provide a more specific idea of what he envisions as the final product. Different ideas could call for different styles of marinades, different cooking methods. And why not spare ribs and sauerkraut?

mjb.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Spare rib sauerkraut will work nice.
You could even brine them with a little sodium nitrite and get close to eisbein taste ;)
Personally, I would probably go SEAsian style (vietnamese, thai, indonesian or so)

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Ah, one of my favourite recipe websites ;)
Going to have a look. Sounds intriguing

Top Bottom