Trying out konnyaku/shirataki

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by mezzaluna, Mar 8, 2003.

1. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Some time ago I asked about konnyaku, a Japanese food product. I learned on the Internet that in Japan it's considered a "diet" food because it contains no effective carbohydrates and almost no calories- but it fills you up. It comes in cake and noodle forms.

Being a low carber for over three years, I was intrigued to think there may be a substitute for pasta out there, so I began looking. I found nothing in local stores or an Asian market outside Chicago, so I finally located a source in California. It might have helped my earlier searches if I'd known the noodle form is called shirataki.

To make a long story short, I received 10 packages of the noodles last week. They come packed in water and are shelf-stable for a year, according to Konjac Foods USA. They are as fine as angel hair pasta. Recipes I found included use for the noodles in stir fries, soups, stews and salads.

I opened the first package and tried to make a noodle cake; no luck. They just don't brown. Later I realized that without any real carbohydrates, why should they? So I made some Asian-style soup and tried them in that.

Konnyaku has absolutely no flavor; texture is the name of the game for the noodle form, shirataki. If you 've ever had cloud ear mushrooms (sometimes called black fungus) in moo shoo pork and other Chinese dishes, this product in its noodle form has the exact same texture as those mushrooms. I understand that the slab form is more rubbery. Since Konjac Foods doesn't carry that form, I guess I'll never know for sure.

Anyway, it was nice to have something resembling noodles in my soup for a change. I will be trying them in stir fries (they absorb flavors nicely) and maybe in a Chinese Noodle Salad (bok choy, almonds, etc.) as well. As long as they don't disrupt my weight loss efforts, I'll be using them.

Has anyone else had experience with shirataki or other forms of konnyaku?

2. spoons

spoons

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi mezzaluna.. I am very familiar with konnyaku or shirataki. Would you like me to give you a recipe for sukiyaki? The noodle (Shirataki)is used.
    Yes, it absorbs all the flavors in the broth.
    I do not recommend for a substitute for pasta though. It is rather rubbery, as you found out.
    (Konnyaku)It is used in dishes..Oden and Nishime. Japanese stew. All very healthy,lots of fresh vegetables.

3. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Yes, Spoons! I'd love as many recipes as I can get. Sukiyaki is great for how I'm eating now, and I'd be interested in your version.
    Thanks!

4. spoons

spoons

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Sukiyaki
    1 1/2 lb. beef, thinly sliced(I use beef rib eye steak,boneless,sliced thin)
    2 oz. beef fat back
    1 bunch green onions, cut into 1 1/2"
    Approx. 8-10 cups vegetables:
    won bok(chopped big), bamboo shoots(sliced),round onion(sliced thin) shiitake mushrooms(whole), enoki mushrooms, bean sprouts
    firm tofu, cut into squares 1 1/2"
    shirataki
    couple raw eggs

Sauce
    1/2 cup shoyu (soy sauce)
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/2 cup sake
    1/2 cup mirin (sweet rice wine)
    3/4 cup katsuo dashi (bonito stock)
    3/4 cup water (Tokyo style)
    1 teas powdered katsuo dashi (Tokyo style)

Two styles (Osaka style and Tokyo style)

Osaka
    Heat a cast iron skillet or heavy pan over med-hi heat. Pan is hot, rub the beef fat around the pan,Add beef and sear, sprinkle sugar over meat as you move the meat around the pan. When nice and brown, add sake. Add vegetables,shirataki arranging in neat bunches within the pan. Add shoyu and dashi, bring to boil. Turn vegetables and tofu in sauce. Continue to boil until vegetables are done. Serve immediately w/ hot rice and raw egg on side(in a small bowl). Egg is for dipping.

Tokyo
    Heat a cast iron skillet on med-hi heat. When pan is hot, rub beef fat around pan. Add the sauce ingredients plus additional 3/4 cup water and powdered katsuo dashi and bring to a boil. Add vegetables in pan, in bunches. Vegetables cook 1/2 way, turn them in sauce, add the beef. Bring back to boil and cook beef.

Okay, I gave you two versions. It's a personal preference. Dashi is a Japanese stock, made from shaved bonito(katsuo) and konbu(dried seaweed). It can be made from scratch or is available in instant form. If you can find Hondashi granules/powder. It is much more easier than made from scratch. Ajinomoto brand, jar or package.

Have some green tea, and you're all set. Very healthy!
    Itadakimasu

:lips:

5. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thank you Spoons! Both recipes sound delicious (except for the bamboo shoots, which I dislike intensely :eek: )

I've tried Ajinomoto broth before and found it delicious. I still have 7 packages of shirataki left, so I'm thrilled to experiment. The last version was a shrimp salad with dressing of soy sauce, sesame oil, salad oil, garlic, ginger and a shot of rice wine vinegar on the shellfish and shirataki. I added diced celery (had no green onions that day), then topped the salad with slivered almonds at the last minute. Really good! :bounce: