Trying my hand at Cheesemaking

Discussion in 'Open Forum With Master Cheesemaker Sid Cook' started by pete, Mar 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Cheesemaking is one of the few things, foodwise, that I haven't really explored yet. Do you have any recommendations for a novice, on books on the subject, or any tips and advice you might have for attempting to make cheese on a small scale for personal consumption?

2. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I too am interested in this. There are several starter kits I have found through various cheese making supply houses but nothing I feel great about.

3. sid cook

sid cook

One great rescource is the net......But think about a class from one of our great cheese teachers.....the Center for Dairy Research at UW Madison...Washington State....Vermont all has a great programs. I think the best is to take a hands on class. Books are great once you really get into it.

Sid Cook

4. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    several years ago a couple of girlfriends and I decided to try our hand at cheesemaking.....one friend was a farmer with sheep and brought goat and sheeps milk, the other friend was a food scientist.
    We made raw cheese, cheddar and feta....using books, presses, cheese supplies bought from a reputable company. There is a whole lot to making good cheese, it is an artform. What we took away from making cheese that day is that it's not as easy to make aged cheeses as it looks. Fresh is way easier.
    Some of the sheeps milk was used to make fudge, NOW that turned out GREAT!

5. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    What company did you get the supplies from? Where did you get the recipes?

6. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    not sure, the food scientist bought them....I just showed up with Valharona to make the fudge.
    But man oh man the cheeses were not very good......I developed a whole new respect for cheesemakers.....kinda like artisinal bread bakers.
    You know Nicko I bet I wrote something about it at the time on Cheftalk, it's probably in the archives.

7. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    We used to buy the fresh Goats Milk when attending J&W in RI and make some nice soft cheese for Sunday brunch.

Made much like yogurt, w/o the cultures?

Do I remember the exact process? It was college.....

Can anyone fill in the blanks?

Along with homemade Bagels, homemade goat cheese is VERY impressive to the locals.:lol:
    and REALLY quite easy.

8. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    we've made fresh cheese with lemon juice and milk....made yogurt with fresh milk and a dollop of yogurt from the last batch

9. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Sid,

Do you host classes on homemade cheeses at the cooking school?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.