Truffles......

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by shroomgirl, Jan 29, 2006.

1. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Oh man, I just got a largess, 8oz of Perigord truffles, truffle juice and sweetbreads....what would you make?

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    A lot of friends!!:smiles:

All three together in a sinful symphony, or toasted brioche with a soft poached egg and shave some truffle over it, finish some risotto with the juice, and I like grand mere style with sweetbreads. Have fun,1/2 # of fresh truffle is quite a prize.

3. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Kelly McCowen plays with Thomas Keller.....I've gotten to work first hand with an amazing chef. His food budget has got to be HUGE....just the MEP he shipped in from CA was amazing. We were opening it like little kids getting a present at Christmas. Some interesting herbs were included...Neppia, a mint. Kelly forages on the 3500 acre property for wild foods, shrooms, herbs, greens.....he's got gardeners growing what he asks for....he and Thomas are raising snails under wine barrels, feeding um lettuce for a week to purge them.

Today is day two of the show......the stories coming out of this are going to be wonderful for years.

4. ma facon

ma facon

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Let's see if I jump a flight to MO. at 8:00 am ..........................

truffles and sweetbreads for dinner:lips:

5. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It would have to be Tournedos Rossini:lips: Lobster with soft scrambled eggs and truffles.
    Poached Sweetbreads.... oh and lets not forget a plane ticket for me to get there ASAP:D

6. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    What can I say? I am sooooooooooo jealous. :D

Never having had the luck of that much whole truffle -- do they give off sufficient aroma to perfume a bunch of eggs in the shell, the way white truffles do? If so, I'd seal the truffles up with some eggs for a few days, then scramble them French-style (egg quantity = butter quantity :lol: ) and serve them in the shells with a little diced truffle on top.

I'm working on the rest . . . :look:

7. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I took 1/2 over to a client/friend who just had radical surgery and is getting ready for a round of chemo/radiation.
    We had slices of bread toasted with olived oil topped with soft silky farm eggs that had alot of euro butter....then went out and bought a truffle slicer and loaded the top of the eggs with truffles.
    Green salad with port redux truffle dressing
    herb poached snails

YUMMMM.....

I called my English shroom dealer who gets in truffles she had no real preserving advice. I hit up a buddy and cryovaced some pieces. Then canned the rest in the truffle juice, they are sealed in a French canning jar in my fridge.

8. aprilb

aprilb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    OK, I've seen truffle oil in a few specialty shops and thought HOLY COW!...

I know they are very 'dear' (to use an Aussie slang for pretty friggin expensive) but I have never had the pleasure to try one to see what they are all about.

I personally love all kinds of fungi, as long as the food preps remove all of the animal poo...LOL...

Given that, how would I acquire an economical amount (like one sliver...:p ) to see what they even taste like? I live about 60 miles West of Las Vegas.

Suggestions?

Thanks
    April

9. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Here's a good suggestion (if I do say so myself):D Go to a good grocer and get a reasonable bottle of Truffle oil. I got my first one this past Xmas. It was the store brand (Wegmans) it was on sale $8.99 for 100ml, and it really perfumes nicely and will give you a good hint at what they actually taste like. I have also gotten some very high class, very tasty and strong White Truffles from of all place Oregon, and they were very reasonably priced!

10. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    hmmmm.....I've had truffles through the years and never really given a fig for them, except Lulu's truffle honey. Most oils have a petroleum taste, Chinese truffles are a waste of money....
    there is a reason why French and Italian truffles have a reputation. Just to have a truffle to say you've done it is like getting a piece of chocolate....well there's hershey, etc then there's Valharona or a fine Belgium choc. The other is chocolate but if you tried a low end grainy, oily, off product you'd think that chocolate is not as great as it could be.

Burgundian blacks are it. Alba whites. fresh are seasonal.

Check out Urbani, they import from Italy you can get truffle oil wholesale.
    Just my two cents.