truffle

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by 1trufflelove2, Jul 23, 2012.

1. 1trufflelove2

1trufflelove2

Exp:
    At home cook
    I am tempted to transport a ton of soil from Alba Italy to try and grow the white truffle here in the states. LOL. A tempting challenge.

2. chefdave11

chefdave11 Banned

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yes.  Make sure they ship the climate, the trees, and the growing conditions, too.

Get that figured out and you'll still have the government officials to bribe to allow in foreign soil and potential pathogens.

3. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
     glad its just tempting. lol

I saw a nice book at Chapters yesterday on truffles, I was tempted to pick it up but bought two other books for my niece instead. (should have)

Petals.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  4. 1trufflelove2

1trufflelove2

Exp:
    At home cook
    I am planning on going to the white truffle festival in Alba this Fall and even going on a truffle hunt with one of the local farmers that offers that experience. I'm going to get some soil samples while I'm there. I know they say you can't grow white truffles anywhere but in Italy but.....

5. chefdave11

chefdave11 Banned

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    but....when eating other types of "mushrooms" all rational thought goes out the psychedelic window?

6. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    There's something about Oregon's climate. You might want to re-locate Alba to Oregon....... 

7. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Don't think it will work.

8. zoebisch

zoebisch

Exp:
    Other
    Yeah they are the most fickle.  People have sunk tons of cash trying to grow them by buying Oaks with roots that have the mycorrhiza, huge forests and nothing.  Soil pH, everything matched.  hahaha.  Maybe someday they will get it down.