Truffle Oil

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by koukouvagia, May 2, 2014.

1. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I realize this is a polarizing ingredient, some chefs abhor it and others couldn't care less about it but I just bought a little bottle of truffle oil.  Planning to use it on some grilled asparagus that we're grilling on Sunday.  In a risotto next week.  Any other suggestions?

2. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    The only thing I think I've ever had it on was--would you believe it--popcorn!

It was really very good and I'm not much of a snack food eater.

3. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Many chefs including myself will not use the  commercial  stuff. First because truffles contain no oil. It is a man made product that you can do yourself for less money

4. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I never use for finishing, but I will add a few drops to a sauce occasionally. 

5. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I have nothing against man made products. I can't afford a real truffle so how would I make it with less money?

6. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    French Fries

Caramelized Cauliflower

A splash in French Onion Soup

Add roasted garlic cloves to it and allow to steep for a few hours THEN drizzle it on green beans with bacon

Bacon, did I say bacon????

7. gypsy2727

gypsy2727

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Not a fan of Truffle oil  .....sorry

8. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Awesome ideas yes!!

9. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    There is a wide range of qualities there. Absolutely awful stuff with some vaguely truffle like aroma in it, yeah, not a fan of this, too. A couple of weeks ago, I got a small bottle of oil that was actually truffled, i.e. the slices were still in it and it had retained a really nice truffle taste. Still weak compared to fresh ones, of course, but yet... good stuff.

As for suggestions - put some on a potato soup. Works very well.

10. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Perhaps the product should be more accurately labeled as truffle infused oil!?!?!?!?

11. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    That wouldn't be accurate either: most truffle oils are synthetic and truffles aren't involved in their manufacturing. 

@Koukouvagia  they can work great to finish a wild mushroom risotto or a plate of pasta, any egg dish (scrambled, omelette...). 

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  12. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I think that would exactly be the relevant distinction - "truffle oils"/synthetic vs. real truffle infused oils. As I said, I have some of the latter around here, and it is really good. None of that nastiness the cheap stuff has.

13. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    It is labeled as olive oil

14. duckfat

duckfat

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I never use it but can't see the harm as long as you know what the product is. I think the biggest issue with Truffle oil is the folks that get hood winked thinking that they are at least buying oil that's been infused with truffles, which I'm sure some brands actually are but they would surely be the exception to the norm with a price to match.

15. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I have that stuff called "Tartuffo Bianci (sp).

It degrades after time right in the bottle as I found out.

Opened a brand new bottle that was sitting in my pantry for a year, and all the flavor had dissipated.

16. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Yeah, I suppose it is the exception. The one I have been referring to still has the truffle slivers in it. And the price did indeed match. Worth it, though. I got it from my trusted greengrocer/deli guy when I bought fresh truffles from him. Went pretty much like this: "You want some truffle oil, too to keep in the pantry for the winter?" - "Eh, isn't most of that just crap?" - "Well, try this one." And right he was.

17. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    It will probably work in risotto, but of course saffron is the necessity there.  I haven't yet come home with a "terrible" truffle oil, though some were obviously better than others, but any form of truffle is just made for:
    • steak
    • potatoes
    • pasta (by itself with the typical added seasoning)
    Rick

18. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If you are going to insist on using truffle oil, make sure you use it SPARINGLY. One of the biggest mistakes people make with truffle oil is to us to much of it in things. It should be subtle and lend an earthy aroma to something, not blow out your nostrils with the smell. 

If you can get your hands on some nice mushrooms it goes OK with a mushroom soup or even just some roasted mushrooms as a side dish. 

19. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I would be helpful if any can recommend particular brands and were they can be found on the internet.  I haven't bought anything for a while and unfortunately can't remember names, but I do recall some rather pricey items that were well worth the money as they were far more concentrated as well as better tasting.  Of course as with evo you can't simply go by the price tag nor do I think a couple slivers guarantee quality.

Rick

20. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
     The one I have currently in my pantry is Casa Rinaldi. Certainly not the most high-end one, but it has a significant amount of slivers in evo and works quite well for me.