Trouble with naan smoking up house

Joined Oct 16, 2018
I have a good recipe for naan, but every time I make it, it smokes up my house like crazy. Unfortunately I only Havre one of those ridiculous,useless, recirculating vents built in to my microwave above the stove - no direct vent outside.

My only idea is to lower the temperature, but I think that might negatively affect the end product.

Anyone have any ideas on how to prevent my house from getting smoked out?

Joined Mar 1, 2017
You're right. Turn down the heat. If you're generating that much smoke, the heat is too high.

Cheers! :)

Joined Apr 26, 2012
How-to-make-naan-3v2-c.jpg
After flip, 45 – 60 seconds more – (Photo #17) will only take around 45 seconds to cook. You’re just looking for a little charring on the blisters and for the surface of the second side to be cooked. Notice there is some smoke. This is normal. If you find that you are getting too much smoke, take the pan off the heat for a few seconds between each naan. Ventilate your kitchen by opening windows if necessary.

You need to be watching closely. This is not the time to take your attention off the pan. Have your naan dough and ghee ready and in reach at the stove.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Do you think it will still turn out OK? Every recipe I've found insists on using a super hot griddle or pan
Sure. As long as its not burned to death. But, scorching hot pans and griddles, while great for certain cooking methods, can create a lot of smoke. But, "scorching hot" doesn't mean "as hot as you can possibly get it." Sometimes just plain ol' hot is hot enough. ;-)

Good luck. :)

Joined Sep 5, 2008
I have a good recipe for naan, but every time I make it, it smokes up my house like crazy. Unfortunately I only Havre one of those ridiculous,useless, recirculating vents built in to my microwave above the stove - no direct vent outside.

My only idea is to lower the temperature, but I think that might negatively affect the end product.

Anyone have any ideas on how to prevent my house from getting smoked out?
Can you share your method? Otherwise we're left just guessing at what it could be.

I make Naans inside on a regular basis, zero smoke.

Are you putting any kind of fat in the pan? That could be the source of smoke. I use a stainless steel pan, no fat.

Joined Oct 16, 2018
Can you share your method? Otherwise we're left just guessing at what it could be.

I make Naans inside on a regular basis, zero smoke.

Are you putting any kind of fat in the pan? That could be the source of smoke. I use a stainless steel pan, no fat.

I was using a stainless pan with ghee on medium high heat, per the insistence of a few Indian chefs

But I just did a batch on medium low and it turned out well - although it took a bit longer and didn't have as good blistering

Joined Sep 5, 2008
I was using a stainless pan with ghee on medium high heat, per the insistence of a few Indian chefs

But I just did a batch on medium low and it turned out well - although it took a bit longer and didn't have as good blistering
I use a stainless steel pan, no ghee, no fat whatsoever, it seems to work great. I brush melted butter mixed with diced garlic an cilantro after the naan is cooked.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Do you think it will still turn out OK? Every recipe I've found insists on using a super hot griddle or pan
Read a few more recipes. Most that I’ve seen talk about “hot”, not super-hot. None define a temperature and speak of a medium—high flame. Not much to go on! One defines “hot pan” and “nearly smoking”. To smoke ghee like that you’d be almost 500 degrees.

Top Bottom