Chef Forum banner

trouble shooting white chocolate ganache

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  rashmi_p 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, new to the forum here :)

I have recently acquired Pierre Herme's Macaron book mainly because I was struggling with the fillings for my macarons.

My current problem is the white chocolate ganache Pierre Herme seems to favour so much.
I tried the raspberry white chocolate ganache - 100gms Valrhona Ivorie, 150 grams raspberries (I used frozen instead of fresh) and a squirt of lemon. I heated up the chocolate, double broiler method between the 45-50°C. Heated up the raspberries and lemon to a boil. What i did slightly different was to remove 3/4th of the seeds using a sieve because i personally don't like them so much in a macaron. I added them in 3 batches to the white chocolate, exactly as the recipe stated, slowly mixing in one batch before adding another.

The result I am getting is smooth, so its not a broken ganache. The flavor of raspberries is a bit dull if you taste it while warm. I also seem to get a floury aftertaste, kind of like under cooked creme patisserie. This is driving me crazy because I cannot pin point what i could be doing wrong... or is this normal and this is supposed to go away after its cooled in the refrigerator?

What have your experiences been with white chocolate ganache, particularly fruit ganaches or ones involving Valrhona Ivorie?

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello and welcome to ChefTalk rashmi_p
I think you're over reaching this thing.
Valrhona Ivorie is a very good product. I have a lot of experience using it.
That being said, I also realize that there is no such thing as white chocolate and this is where a lot of people make the mistake. This conglomeration of chemicals does not act the same way as the dark chocolate does.
I'm curious why you didn't strain out ALL the seeds. Pushing on the seeds while in the sieve will bring out more flavor.

You mention a floury flavor aftertaste...well......THAT'S the way it tastes and no....you are not doing anything wrong

#3 ·
Hello and welcome to ChefTalk rashmi_p
I think you're over reaching this thing.
Valrhona Ivorie is a very good product. I have a lot of experience using it.
That being said, I also realize that there is no such thing as white chocolate and this is where a lot of people make the mistake. This conglomeration of chemicals does not act the same way as the dark chocolate does.
I'm curious why you didn't strain out ALL the seeds. Pushing on the seeds while in the sieve will bring out more flavor.
You mention a floury flavor aftertaste...well......THAT'S the way it tastes and no....you are not doing anything wrong
Thank you for responding :D
I am glad you mention that's how it is supposed to taste because I was very confused! I cant really say this is pleasant yet(?) maybe it would work out fine within a macaron. Could it be possible that that there is higher water content in frozen raspberries and this is messing with the composition of the white chocolate?

Its interesting you mention that pushing on the seeds would bring out more flavour... i did not know that, good tip!
The reason : I was making them for my husbands family and they were very divided on seeds v/s no seeds so that was the compromise, haha! Personally I would have got rid of all the seeds and put in half a raspberry in the center of the macron for texture.

Regarding the Valrhona Ivorie... I must say this chocolate tasted excellent out of the pack, really great mouth feel and texture.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.