trouble beating eggs for ice cream

Discussion in 'Professional Pastry Chefs' started by sch, Apr 22, 2010.

1. sch

sch

Exp:
    Professional Baker
    I have a 20 quart hobart and a 60 quart hobart.  I have been making ice cream in the 20 but now I'm ready to increase production and use the 60.  I made one recipe in each, exact same ingredients (whole pasteurized eggs, non dairy whip base, water, sugar), first I whip the eggs then add the whip...the eggs in the 60 just didn't want to cooperate.  the first attempt came out poor, and the second try the eggs looked better but as soon as the whip went in the whole thing fell.    I tried giving the 60 more time to beat than the 20, still no go.  Am I missing something?  Any advice?  Can there be something wrong with the whisk?

Thanks!

2. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
     Are both bowls and both whips made out of s/s?. Was there any oil or grease on anything?

3. egglady

egglady

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
     The whites in pasteurized eggs are "tight" from being heated. An acid will help to loosen them. I always use cream of tartar, typically a teaspoon per three egg whites. For larger quantities I would experiment a little. 

Follow other best practices as well -- room temperature eggs, stainless steel or copper bowl, no grease, etc.

Hope that helps. I always get good results with the pasteurized eggs. 

4. sch

sch

Exp:
    Professional Baker
    identical, both ss, both super clean, had them both going simultaneously!  And I tried again yesterday and it just won't come out fluffy enough, I can't sell it :(

Do you think adding some yolks would help?  Someone suggested the water content may be a little high on this batch of eggs.

I'll try the acid idea, sounds interesting.

Thanks!