Trimming oxtail for a braise?

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Our daughter asked me to cook this oxtail for her. Should I trim this? Or is it ok to be seared and braised as-is? I was thinking of braising in red wine and canned tomatoes, and maybe some porcini mushrooms.
I've used oxtail before, but only in soups or stews along with shin etc. I've never cooked it as Oxtail on its own, or used this much oxtail (it's so pricey!)

If you have a great oxtail recipe, feel free to let me know!
View attachment 69741

Attachments

• oxtail.jpg
    oxtail.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 1
Joined Dec 18, 2010
Use as-is. Skim fat at end, if needed. Or better, if you have the time... cook, cool, refrigerate, and peel the hardened fat off, then reheat.

Joined Sep 21, 2010
YUMMY!

mashed potatoes; noodles????
Buttery and fluffy mashed! Spuds from Washington State, they were perfect. I was thinking of polenta, but the daughter isn't a polenta fan.

i braised the oxtails early in the day, pulled them from the sauce which I chilled and de-fatted, then warmed the oxtails in the sauce.
Very yummy!!!

Joined Aug 15, 2003
Those look good for sure, but $10+/lb is WAAAAYYY too much money to pay for oxtails, damn. Is that how much they're going for now days? They used to practically give that away.

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Those look good for sure, but $10+/lb is WAAAAYYY too much money to pay for oxtails, damn. Is that how much they're going for now days? They used to practically give that away.
I agree, waaay too much - my daughter got them at Costco. Personally, I'd go to the many Asian markets around here for oxtails, shins, trotters, etc. Much better prices, and excellent quality.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Cheap cuts are now premium priced. It’s sad but that’s he way it is. I agree that ethic markets might be a better but but often they are intimidating for “outsiders”.

Top Bottom