tried anything new lately?

Joined Mar 4, 2000
Every month or so, my husband and I go on gourmet food shopping binges in NYC, and come home with tons of food. I always bring home something I've never tried before. Today, it was quark, and a soft cheese called petit perail, as well as goat's cream butter.

The quark was not what I've always imagined it to be. It was sort of grainy like a ricotta, but with the flavor of sour cream.

The cheese was described as a version of Camembert, but it had a much more pungent aroma. Not my cup of tea really, but it was better on a piece of baguette, let's put it that way.

The goat butter is amazing! I haven't cooked with it yet, but the flavor is so distinctive and earthy, yet mellow.

Anybody else try anything new lately?

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
A few weeks ago I saw goat butter at the supermarket. I was curious since I had never heard of this before. Curiosity got the better of me and I bought some. Now I had to figure out what to do with it. I settle on trying to make a quiche. Used the goat butter in the dough and a bit of goat cheese with salmon as a filling. I didn't have much hope for it. Thought the goat flavour would be over powering. I was wrong. It was very nice. I've even thinking of redoing it.

Sisi

Joined Jul 18, 2000
i made some blinis with dill and put it on the menu. So far, no one has touched it. I cook for plebians.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Gelato!!!YES what a treat not to be missed.
Dried eggplants....these are 3" in length and hollow...you stuff them and serve them sauced (probably tomato based)
I've just bought them so I don't know how they are yet.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Gelato!!!YES what a treat not to be missed.
Dried eggplants....these are 3" in length and hollow...you stuff them and serve them sauced (probably tomato based)
I've just bought them so I don't know how they are yet.
Oh yeah and Sour Apple Pucker Martinis
dispite the florescent color they are pretty darn good.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
1 part DeKyper Sour Apple Pucker (Schnapps)
1part Sweet and Sour
2 parts Vodka
Apple slice garnish.

I made a similar drink substituting Midori for Pucker last March and used a Strawberry for garnish.

The NYTimes ran a nice article about them a couple of weeks ago there were several versions....Calvados, 7 up, Martinellis sparkling cider, ........the Pucker one got the most raves in the article so I went for it. Served it at the Squash and Shroom dinner...went well with the theme.

Latest posts

Top Bottom