Travel with creme brulee

Joined Jan 16, 2011
UHT Milk will provide enough fat for the Brulee to hold out of the mould. It's a slightly differant quantity of cream and milk to the egg and sugar though. Not very many people can actually get it cooked correctly though, it has to be absolutely perfect.

Last edited:
Joined Apr 2, 2007
Originally Posted by Titomike
...I'd say this'll need to be the love child of a dark and mysterious panna cotta /img/vbsmilies/smilies/cool.gif and... "the mighty but soft Brulee" /img/vbsmilies/smilies/mullet.gif                  ...../img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif
Yes but then poeple will argue that it is not a creme brulee because a creme brulee is as much about texture as it is flavour. Heck I have made rice pudding brulee, pistachio, lemon, raspberry, you name it, but I still know how to do a classic one when required. BTW a classic creme brulee is served in a gratin dish, not a ramekin.

The requirement here is a free form creme brulee and timoltike is absolutely correct, the addition of a gelling agent will solve the problem. It may not be authentic, but it solves the problem. I know this is a fairly old thread but this recipe should work;

Freeform crème brulee

360g egg yolks

180g sugar

3.3g agar agar (3.3%)

300g milk

750g cream

1 vanilla bean

4g gelatine mix

For the gelatine mix

14g gelatine powder

60g water

Bloom gelatine powder in water, melt and reserve. Combine agar with half of the sugar and the remaining sugar with the egg yolks. Bring milk, cream, vanilla and agar to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the yolks and sugar and cook to 80C stirring constantly.

Remove from heat and add 4g of gelatine mix, strain and portion into molds. Refrigerate and caremelize to order. The added gelatine and agar prevent melting of the freeform crème brulee. 

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom