transplanting wild asparagus?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by gonefishin, Jun 10, 2010.

1. gonefishin

gonefishin

Exp:
    At home cook
       Hi all,

This was a horrible year for picking wild asparagus!  Nearly ever road that had asparagus on it at one time has been mowed, cut down, replanted with grass, or house on it.

But there are a few plants that I came across while driving around, although they were too mature to cut and eat... did take a mental note of where the plants were for future use.

Can I dig these plants up with, or without, some of the rootball and transplant them?  Near the place that I work we have an empty field with a small drainage pond on it.  The dry land is maybe 10-15 acres and will never be built on.  I'm thinking I could start transplanting some mature plants onto the property...making it much easier to find the plants next year.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions with this?

thanks,

dan

2. thegardenguru

thegardenguru

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you want to dig up "wild" asparagus and transplant it rather than buy domestic asparagus and plant that onto the property you have to use?

Joe

3. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    I was wondering the same thing, Joe. Either way, to establish a bed you have to start with the "roots." It's not like transplanting a single plant.

I would just buy roots from a nursery or seed house and start from there.

4. gonefishin

gonefishin

Exp:
    At home cook
      Do you mean domestic asparagus roots sold in the stores?  

Very few stores by me carry them and they were out in no time at all.  It also isn't a item that they re-stock.  Plus, the wild asparagus are free...I would hope to get a decent number of plants in the ground at that price /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif
      Hi KYH.  Only one store by me carried the asparagus roots and the shelf was empty.  I asked if they were getting any more in and they said they weren't.  

I may order some roots online.  But I figure I may as well use the free plants in the wild if it would work.

thanks guys!

dan

5. thegardenguru

thegardenguru

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    There's a great many advantages to buying "domestic" asparagus that pay many times over versus digging up wild stuff.

Growing asparagus properly starts with more than just digging holes and dropping in some dug-up clumps.  If you're going to make the effort, you might as well make the investment.

More than anything, what you're after are mostly (if not entirely) male plants.  You can buy such.

Digging and transplanting now isn't the best timing, anyway.  You might as well wait until next bare-root season, order a suitable mostly-male strain from a specialty mailorder company, dig really good trenches and start a viable asparagus patch.

And while you wait for your asparagus to come into full-bearing, harvest the wild stuff.

Joe

6. gonefishin

gonefishin

Exp:
    At home cook
       Thanks Joe (and KYH)...you both contributed some informative posts. 

I did look online, but didn't find much useful information.  I'll do some scouting now for a place to purchase online.

thanks,

dan

7. craftsmaster

craftsmaster

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If you're planting or transplanting seedlings outside, the best method I've found is to dig the hole, add just a "dash" of compost and bone meal for drainage, and add extra nutrients.

Carmel Santos
    CEO of Herb Gardening Guide
    Growing Herbs in Pots
    The Australian Guide to Herb Gardening

Session data

Session data