translations please...

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by ojosverdes, Aug 3, 2005.

1. ojosverdes

ojosverdes

Last time my husband went to England he brought me back few baking books. As embarrassing as this is (seeing as English is my native language) there are several ingredients that I don't understand. Can anyone help me out here?? What is...

caster sugar
    icing sugar
    demerara
    bicabonate of soda (baking soda??)
    strong plain flour (what makes it strong??)
    sour milk (does that mean milk that has actually gone bad??)
    muscovado sugar
    and
    black treacle?

I know I could look it up on the internet too but since everyone here usually has the answer I wanted to try here first.

2. nicholas

nicholas

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Hey hey, I came across this neat little glossary a few weeks back on this website. The Traveler's Lunchbox

It answers some of your questions. Enjoy!

3. chefoncall

chefoncall

Castor or caster is the same as granulated just called superfine. This works better when dissolving sugar into mixtures.

Demerara is from Guyana and is what we call sugar in the raw. Guyana is located in South America near Brazil.

Treacle: is very similar to black strap molasses.

I would suggest that strong plain flour is about flavor. In wheat flour the flavor profile is more of a full flavor.

Icing sugar: powdered sugar

Sourmilk: sour milk or milk flavored

Muscavado: dark brown sugar similar to brown sugar as we know it.

4. fat al

fat al

Chefoncall has got your translations totally covered, apart from the strong plain flour. Strong plain flour is made from hard grain wheat which has a high gluten content, this would be used for making bread, ordinary plain flour (made from soft to medium grains, lower gluten content) would be used for making cakes and the like . Saying that, I have successfully made bread from plain flour, but haven't tried making cakes from strong flour. Hope that helps.

5. ojosverdes

ojosverdes

Thank you to everyone who replied. Those were exactly the answers I was looking for. Off to my new baking books!!! :chef: