Traditional New Year's Day Menus?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by foodnfoto, Jan 1, 2013.

1. foodnfoto

foodnfoto

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    We've got black eye peas, collards, rice and pork roasting in the oven for a traditional southern new years dinner. Peas are for coins, collards for dollars and pork to bring wealth and rich life in the new year.

Do any of you serve traditional meals today?

2. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I basically have the same dinner going on. Must be great minds huh!

3. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Back home, the Asian influence is very strong

(be sure your house is clean, all trash has been taken out of the house and pop a boat load for fireworks to ward off the mischievous spirits !!)

Gotta have noodles for long life, first and foremost.

We do fish (preferably raw) some sort of rice dish, today is Maki Sushi, and then the other dishes that we would have back in Hawaii are too difficult to get here in the middle of the desert!

Chinese New Year, I search out a lion dance so that I can give money for a prosperous and lucky year.  This year I may have to trek up to the big city for that...

4. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Lots of coffee and pain killers?

Actually it has been quite some time since I've overindulged on New Year's Eve, so no hangover today.  We just had some leftover pork bbq sandwiches with rice and veggies.  I do sort of remember black eyed peas being a good luck dish for today.  I'll have to remember that for next year.

mjb.

5. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I always make eggs Benedict on NYD morning with hash browns, fresh squeezed OJ and a blended coffee done in the French Press...

It's a tradition.

6. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Yesterday I ground 3.5 lbs of chuck and made meatballs with half of it.  Some fresh tomato sauce and linguini completed the meal.