Traditional Idaho Mashers

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by jojosaute, Nov 24, 2013.

1. jojosaute

jojosaute

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hello all, 

Some chef friends and cooks have been debating the proper method of preparing mashed potatoes.  In it self there is a million ways to make mashed potatoes, but we are debating to peel or not to peel?  I think the proper method is to peel the potato.  If it is a red skin or a gold I would keep skin on no problem.  But the Idahos have such a tough skin.  I feel you should always peel.  What does everyone think. 

Thanks!

2. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Personally I hate peel in my mashed potatoes but that is a strictly personal preference.  It does not mean peel is wrong.  Like you said, there's a million and one ways to mash a potato as simple as boiling and mashing, but can be as complicated as using a chinois.  

3. chefsluggo

chefsluggo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    born and raised in Idaho, i had to have potatoes for dinner every night, well my dad had to, so i have had potatoes dang near every way possible. Reds i like the texture and flavor of the skin and sometimes russet also, most of the time i peel Yukon and russets and leave the skin on the reds, but i have seen in Ramsays kitchen he leaves the skin on, boils them,then peels of the skin before ricing per order.

4. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    In always liked eating the peels, be them red,   yellow or whatever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  5. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Mashed is pretty much the only time I peel.  Just had some hash browns for lunch, peels and all.

Actually I take that back.  I often leave the peels in when it is just me, but always peel for guests.  Mostly a visual thing.

mjb.

6. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Peel on usually, tasty and nutritious.

7. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Sorry Idaho's do not the best mashed make

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  8. dillbert

dillbert Banned

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    and the best mashed potatoes are made with _____________________

9. mikelm

mikelm

Exp:
    Home Chef
    We think the skins are the best part of any potato;  haven't peeled one in forty years./img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Saved a lot of time, too.

Mike

10. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Usually more nutirents are found at the outer 'layer' of both potatos and lettuces.

11. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Rattes!

Boiled in the skin, then peeled and "diluted" with an equal amount of butter. Ask Mr. Purée de patates himself; Joël Robuchon.

12. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Commercially a potato called a Chef Special, they have a bit more moisture then Idaho's. Idaho's are by far the best for baking as their inside seem more fluffy, when baked correctly.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  13. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    I pretty much use russets for everything... cuts down on how many potatoes I need to keep in the pantry.

14. cacioepepe

cacioepepe

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Bake em.  They lose their moisture and the flavor is concentrated. It also gives more room  for butter and cream!

15. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I think baked russets that are then mashed and mixed with butter and topped with chives are out of this world but they have to be piping hot. If they cool down they get gummy.

16. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    My favorite use for leftover mashed is grate in some onion, add S&P if needed, mix in just enough beaten egg to make them softer(not quite to pancake batter stage, concussion is making it hard for me to find words). Saute in butter or bacon fat(or olive oil if you are a health nut) in small patties until golden brown on each side.

17. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Mary what happened?

18. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Kid slowed for a stop then ran it, I t-boned a 4wd pickup in my little Chevy Aveo at 40mph. Totaled my car, I was unconscious for 5 minutes or more. No hospital but I am hurting, right wrist where I bent the shifter in the car forward an inch, neck, I have 2 compressed discs, and head where I bent the door frame up an inch. Happened Nov 3rd. Hasn't been a fun month! Memory loss, search for the right words at times, non-stop headaches...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2013
  19. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Sorry to hear about your accident. Make sure to get everything checked out healh wise for it may come to haunt you in the future.

20. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    CT scans of brain and so far just an xray of the neck, doc wants me to try PT before a CT of the neck. Have a lawyer, I am losing money on my business of laser engraving, suffering every day with pain...