Top Three Favorite Recipes

Joined Dec 30, 1999
Isa,

Sounds delicious! What would be the difference if you used green asparagus.

I'll have to grow my own white asparagus next year.

;)

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
CChiu,

Green and white asparagus obviously have different taste. :D If you can't find tyhem fresh, try to get imported white asparagus in a glass jar. If all fail, buy them canned but don't forget to cool them before eating.

Sorry I forgot the muffin recipe yesterday. I always cut the sugar by about 40%-50% in this recipe.

Apple Pecan Muffins
12 Muffins

1 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 teaspoon lemon zest
2 cups green apples, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup pecans, chopped and toasted

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease the muffin cups. Sift the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt into a medium bowl. Combine sugar, oil, egg, lemon juice, vanilla and lemon peel in a large bowl; whisk to blend. Mix in the dry ingredients, then the apples and pecans. Spoon 1/3 cup batter into each prepared muffin cup. Bake until tester inserted into centres comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Turn muffins out onto rack; cool slightly. Serve warm.

Bon Appétit!:D

Joined Aug 11, 2000
CCHIU~ there are alot of white asparagus growers right across the border in Illinois. The are in the main grocery stores....seems like I saw some recently....probably SA imports....
white asp can be bitter....the textural difference in canned/jarred and fresh is what you'd expect.
They are a treat to those that like them.

Joined Apr 13, 2015
First of all, Nancya- recipe for chocolate orange cake please! Are there even other ingredients in the world that cause such massive cravings as the combo of chocolate and orange? I even add orange extract to my brownies....

Okay, here is the recipe for aggression cookies. I've had it since I was about 8, from a cookbook my Mom bought called "Cooking for Kids" or something like that. It has always been my favorite!!

Aggression Cookies
3 cups oatmeal
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups butter
1 1/2 tsp baking powder

(you can also add any other ingredient like chocolate chunks, nuts, raisins, etc)

Dump all ingredients in large bowl. Mash it!!! Knead it!!! Pound it!!! The longer and harder you mix it, the better it tastes.
Roll dough into small balls.
Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.

So, I guess stress relief is not only found in kneading bread.... :D

~~Shimmer~~
are these like oatmeal cookies?

Joined Jun 5, 2015
Italian sausage dumplings in a brown butter and oregano sauce (this is my comfort food)

Beef tortillas or tacos free for all style with the refried beans, the pico de gallo, grated cheese, lettuce, etc. All the good stuff in little bowls for all to pick at. (Go to party food besides wings)

Passion fruit ice cream with chocolate dirt! (When you want to get lucky)

Joined Jun 21, 2016
Considered our traditional cuisine's heritage, we go for:

"Gnudi con burro e salvia" (Ricotta and spinach dumplings with butter and sage), a traditional Tuscan dish: if you never heard them before, you can check our recipe here;

"Panzanella", a bread salad typical of Tuscany;

"Ricciarelli", kind of a dessert made in Siena since the 1200s: here's our recipe!

Joined Jun 20, 2016
Seafood Gumbo

Place all purpose flour on baking sheet, brown in oven, set aside.

Brown andouille sausage in pot, set aside

Add a little oil, then stir in the flour to make a roux. Cook until dark brown.

Add onions, bell peppers, celery, bay leaves and cajun seasonig, and sautee in roux

Add in crab stock, (or seafood or even chicken works well), bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer for 1 1/2 hours. 

Add okra and sausage back into pot, cook until okra pops open and thickens up

Add shrimp, cook halfway

Add shucked oysters, just to heat through

Check for seasonings at the end and serve

Joined Aug 26, 2016
1. Mustard steak, beat seasoned flour into round steak with the edge of a plate, put in hot pan with ample grease of your choice, fry one side, spread the up side with yellow french's mustard, flip when blood/juice shows. spread that side with the mustard. it's my Dad's recipe, now it's yours. lol 

2. Fired Up Monk : equal parts tequila, sour, frangelico, fireball whiskey mixed like a frozen margarita. 

3. Wimpy Baby Soup - dry chicken noodle soup mixed with water, a bit of milk, a bit of mustard. [ eaten when feeling sick, needing comfort ]

Joined Feb 3, 2013
3 things I love to eat

An egg in a cup.
2 eggs butter salt & pepper in a cup cooked in a saucepan of simmering water and some nice fresh bread.

Honey chilli chicken fillet with champ

Caramel shortbread brownies

Joined Sep 28, 2016
This sounds amazing! Do you ever add peanut butter to your cookies? I'm wondering if that changes the consistancy?

Joined Nov 5, 2016
Zombie_Chef, You didn't mention cooking the shrimp for the shrimp mousse. Do you use them raw or was that an oversight?

pd

Joined Aug 21, 2004
In order to answer your question I am going to take the liberty of responding for zombie_chef since he hasn't been here in 15 years, when making shrimp mousse you do not cook the shrimp before making the mousse. The cooking occurs later, think of it like making hamburger patties. You don't cook the ground beef first. In this case the mousse is spread on trout fillets which are then rolled up and poached. Hope that helps to clarify things

Joined Feb 19, 2017
My top 3, mainly because of how easy they are to make and nothing fancy...

1. Scrambled egg, with garlic, cherry tomatoes, spring onions, feta cheese. On some good bread. 

2. Spaghetti carbonara with spicy chicken.

3. Tortilla Pizzas, passata, spinach, mozza cheese, and an egg, bang in the middle for good measure.  

Joined Jun 27, 2012
1. potato salad...dressed with mayo and sour cream heavy with fresh dill and a sprinkle or two Hidden Valley green onion dip mix (to taste...pretty salty and huge onion hit) has always been a favorite on the catering menu....

2. Gma Van's devils' food cake (three layers filled and iced with a soft ganache) I like it cold so always hide a slice lol.

3.Family nite King Ranch casserole....if you have never had this pm for the recipe....mine came from one of those church lady cookbooks and has that perfect balance of corn tortilla vs creamy mildly spicy chicken filling.

mimi

Last edited:

norcalbaker59

Banned
Joined Feb 16, 2017
1. Roasted root vegetable hash: 1 cup each of any combination of diced root vegetables. I usually use carrots, Yukon gold potatoes, rutabaga, turnips, white sweet potato, butternut squash, onion, garlic. Toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, chopped parsley. Roast 400 degrees until just tender.

I eat it as a side dish or use it as filling for hand pies, just create a roux, add broth, then hash. Tonight I added beef to hash and made hand pies. I make extra and freeze. I also use it in soups, just add it at the very end since it's already cooked.

//////

2. Broccoli salad: this is a copycat from a salad sold at Raley's supermarket.
1 1/2 cups broccoli, raw, OR blanched, shocked, and diced
1 cup apple, diced
1/2 cup carrots, diced or shredded
1/2 cup celery, diced
1/2 cup red onion diced
2 oz raisins or currants
2 oz dried sour cherries or cranberries (I prefer Trader Joes sour cherries)
2 oz toasted sunflower seeds or toasted pumpkin seeds

Dressing:
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/8 cup apple cider vinegar (you can add more vinegar, I just like my dressing more creamy that tart)
1 1/2 TBSP dijon mustard
1 TBSP sugar
2 tsp celery seed
1/4 tsp white pepper

///////

3. Grilled skirt or flank steak
1 1/2 lbs skirt or flank steak

Marinade (marinade at least 2 hours)
1/2 c olive oil
1/3 c soy sauce
1/4 c wine vinegar
3-4 TBSP Worcestershire