***** Top Chef: Las Vegas *****

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Another dismal performance by Jen. I think she used up her last chance. Mike V is such a poor loser ( LOL ) but you have to respect his ambition. The stand out top chef is becoming very clear. Atlanta may be the hot bed for top Top Chef's. Who wulda thunk.

Joined May 22, 2009
My questions......If it was supposed to be an entree, why did no one do a pasta? Is it possible that there was none in the Craftsteak kitchen? Also, only 2 people actually used beans for the protein. Did I miss something, or does this seem like a substantial gap?

Joined Aug 7, 2008
I was a little surprised that there was no discussion of Jenn using butter on her dish table side except for being so sloppy. While they did specify vegetarian and not Vegan I think it's a real stretch to assume all vegetarians will eat dairy products.
With two hours any one could have made pasta. All of the dishes except for Kevins looked more like Apps.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
It's pretty obvious now that whether he wins or not Kevin is a top chef. He is able to take any ingredient and make it shine, whether he has worked with it before or not. All in all I was disappointed with most of the chefs... this surely must not be a great stretch for them to cook for vegeterians. And I was very confused about their lack of dairy because most vegeterians I know do include dairy in their diets. Where were the legumes, the cheeses, the grains? No wonder their dishes all looked like side items.

Mike V. is a very nasty competitor, it was simply uncalled for to make the comments he did. In truth he may be the most innovative and talented, but I think we are all aware of who's food we would continuously go back more for. I may try the banana/polenta but it's not something I will go want more of, I'm sure.

Finally, the right person goes home. I'm doing a jig.

Joined Aug 8, 2007
looks like robin is going to win the whole thing... lol, jay kay jay kay... wokka wokka wokka... seriously though, kevin is proving to be the most consistant and slowly coming out of his shell... jenn is falling off hard, and its showing, she has gone from confident and able to a complete nervous wreck... i felt bad for her when she was spilling that butter all over the place. i wasnt pleased with michael voltaggio's comments after he lost, not cool... but i am still rooting for him to go all the way... but i have a feeling it may come down to the two brothers and kevin at this point...

youre contradicting yourself, if youre saying jenn should not have used butter how could they use pasta then when it is full of egg?

Joined Aug 7, 2008
I didn't say any one should have used pasta. I simply said two hours is plenty of time to make pasta.
Egg is not a requirement for pasta. While many vegetarians do eat Dairy many do not. I think it's a foolish assumption in a competition to use dairy unless that was discussed and we just didn't see it. The judges can be mighty fickle about the details that they fixate on.

Joined Aug 4, 2009
How beautiful have the special guests with dietary restrictions been this season - first Zoe Dechanelle (sp?), now Natalie Portman!!! I love it.

I too was surprised by the lack of dairy and a bit disappointed with the overall output by the chefs. Just about every plate looked like enough food for a bird. When I think of a vegetarian dinner, I think of big, substantial plates loaded with beans, cheese, etc. not some cooked greens and sauces lined up pretty.

Oops, just did some fact checking and Miss Dechanelle was on Top Chef Masters. Nevertheless, sexy actress who doesn't eat meat and was on Top Chef recently.

Joined Aug 8, 2007
the episode before this one the whole part with padma addressing the kitchen and outlining the competition was dubbed over... so who knows what really goes on...

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Pretty dissappointing show last night, I wasn't entertained as much as I thought I would be but I did enjoy the commraderie between most folks. I never did like Fabio, and I didn't understand Marcel's chip on the shoulder. I always thought he was kind of creepy and lacking in social skills so I don't understand the need to continuously bring him back for TC specials. It was good to see Carla again.

Joined Aug 8, 2007
for the ratings and controversy i imagine... i never cared for marcel's attitude or personality. fabio was prolly told by the producers to dig into marcel for all the details etc.

Joined Feb 1, 2007
Actually, I thought it was the singularly most boring show I'd ever seen. And I've had a TV in my family since 1948.

This is the second time they've broken this series, for no good reason I can see. Two weeks ago they just didn't air the show; with no explanation given. Then they throw in that silly reunion.

Wonder if ratings have been slipping, and they're trying to just goose things?

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Fabio is a bit of a ponce. I could care less if the network wanted him to push Marcels buttons. That was just poor form. But since his restaurant is getting such poor reviews maybe Fabio needs to pimp him self out.
I'm no fan of Marcel but I think what happened to him in that season was pretty harsh. The humiliation of being over powered by some one stronger, physically larger and held down against his will on national TV is pretty hard to even imagine.
They must have a rock solid hold harmless in their contract because I would think Marcel would have a fair case against the show other wise. No doubt that incident will follow him the rest of his career.
I was actually embarrassed for Tom C and the other judges that the show stooped to the level of bringing that back up and clearly trying to profit from it.
Just pathetic.
Then again the whole show was just booooooooring.

Joined May 22, 2009
I agree. I think Eli is a bit of a jerk, but he's clearly been the better chef throughout as has Jennifer. It's pretty obvious that the last three will be Bryan, Michael, and Kevin. I still say Kevin's going to take it all in the end.

Joined Aug 7, 2008
I was more surprised at Jen actually saying that she is ready to go home than I was with the person who left.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Looks like Michael is taking Kevin head on as his biggest competition. The first rule of competition though is to respect your competitor, and he obviously does not. It's a shame really.

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Sponsor
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Really? That whole competition looks brutal to me I would think that after the first few weeks it would get old very quick.

Top Bottom