Tooooo many morels

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by w.debord, May 16, 2003.

1. w.debord

w.debord

MY husband is an old Iowa farm boy (at heart) and he used to go mushroom hunting every year while growing up. Now fast forward he found a spot near a his job years later that's really loaded with morels.

Help, I need to find someone who wants these. It's a crime to throw them all out..........and he says there's still tons of them out there.........and he wants to keep picking them........

No one will take them from us (neighboors) because they're scared they could be posionous. BUT if you know anything about mushroom hunting (according to my hubby) you can't make a mistake with morels.

Who can I give these too? We eat them........but can't eat ALL OF THEM.........

2. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    You could process some of them- dry some whole, or make and freeze morel duxelles, or even make a morel soup and freeze it. I envy your dilemma. If you have extra dried ones send them my way. I NEVER have too many morels.

3. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    I never thought there could be too many mushrooms. ;) :D

I'll admit that I'm not as familiar with morels as regular old farmed mushrooms, but: would they hold up if you lightly sauteed and then froze them? You can pack them in "recipe-size" containers or bags. Obviously, you'd have to use them in cooked dishes then, but at least you'd have them on hand outside of morel season.

Anyway, that's what I do with regular mushrooms when I get a good deal on them.

4. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I use dried morels alot....they are one of the few that rehydrates well. It's been a really exception shroom year, see there is an up side to all the rain, snow....etc.....

5. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    W.DeBord,

I can get you in contact with people in your area who may be close enough to you to get them fresh. If you're interested, message me privately.

:)

6. sparrowgrass

sparrowgrass

I saute my extras in butter and freeze them. Makes good soup or sauce.

Or--let my brother in Warrenville know--I am sure he would take them off your hands:D

7. w.debord

w.debord

Are you still involved with picking groups Shroomgirl? In our area it really hasn't been wet...........closer to drout. It's just been the last couple weeks were we've gotten some rain. This year the rain pattern takes everything just south of the city. I'm putting in landscaping and I'm getting very nervous that we'll have a watering ban earilier then usual.

I don't want to keep them........there's only 2 of us. We only like them fresh, coated in flour and sauteed in butter until their crunchy (I'm on a diet and can't eat them now).

8. w.debord

w.debord

Mudbug,

Your box is full. I'll try e-mail......look for me.

Wendy

9. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Ok, I don't know why it's full, it says it isn't... I'll message you, you can always reach me at [email protected]

sigh...:confused:

10. kidaly

kidaly

Hi W.DeBord!

If you're still looking to offload some of your morel stash I'd love to pick some up! (I'm in the western Chicago burbs, but I can travel anywhere! :) ) I've personally never had morels since I'm not much of a mushroom hunter and I wouldn't know where to start, but I love mushrooms! My Dads side of the family from Springfield, IL swears they are a delicacy!

Please let me know if I can help you with this dilemma!!

:lips:

- Kim :)

11. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I've not been as active with the hunters in the past 4 years cus market is on Sat. and the forays are always on Sat or further away for the weekend and after Sat. market I'm beat...I do get the news and I still go to the gourmet dinners albet as a follower not the leader now.
    One of my dear friends has an organic log grown shiitake farm and I get my wilds from her on a regular basis..5# of morels recently, had alot of worms which is so bizarre, I've never seen such an infestation.....even am soaking this batch Totally unheard of in my circle of shroomy friends.