Too much chicken?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by heymroscar, Nov 5, 2013.

1. heymroscar

heymroscar

Exp:
    At home cook
    I was thinking about doing a Double chicken broth and then cooking a split pea soup with it.  Too Much??  Suggestions please.

2. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I don't understand the question.  Do you mean make a broth with 2 chickens?  There are many ways to get a very rich stock without having to use 2 chickens.  My biggest pot could not hold 2 chickens but it does hold one chicken, a pack of chicken wings and veggies.  Proportion is important, so the water has to hover just above the chicken, not more than 2 inches.  I simmer it for about an hour and then remove the meat from the chicken, return the bones and skin back to the pot and let it cook for another 2hrs.  If you want further flavor you can reduce the stock, the more you reduce it the more concentrated the flavor will be.

Of course you can use some stock for pea soup, or any kind of soup.  That's what stock is for.

3. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Depends how much you want your soup to taste like split pea and how much you want it to taste like chicken stock. I personally think a normal chicken stock is fine, but I do like the addition of some kind of smoked pork product, even if it's just diced bacon. 

4. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    For pea soup better off with a good smoked ham hock to make stock from.

5. heymroscar

heymroscar

Exp:
    At home cook
    A double chicken broth is after your stock has cooled down, you introduce another chicken to the stock and allow it to simmer for an hour to two depending on foul used.  I had never done it before, which is why I was seeking advice. Thanks

6. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    The only time I've made and used double chicken stock was to poach chicken, where I wanted a strong chicken taste. I wouldn't use double chicken stock for a soup unless maybe it's a chicken soup. 

In fact to be honest most of the time I cook split peas with water and not chicken stock. And I use some smoked pork product, bacon or ham hock as was mentioned or even salt pork belly of some kind. 

7. heymroscar

heymroscar

Exp:
    At home cook
    Never used water for split pea or any soup that I can remember.  Where's the flavor?  "I'm clearly not a vegetarian with that statement."  I'm going to try it, and if your interested, I will let you in on the outcome.  Thanks everybody for your input. 

8. rhiana jones

rhiana jones

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Sounds interesting, can't wait to find out how it turned out. Split pea is my husband's favorite. 

9. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    In the split peas. While it can be interesting to add meat flavor to vegetables, it shouldn't be a necessity, as long as you get quality veggies that taste good to begin with. The best vegetable soups I've ever tasted were my grandmother's and she never used chicken stock, she only used water. 

Hey, I'm making split peas puree tonight (with water) and serve with saucisson a l'ail. 

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  10. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    FF , i remember as a kid eating split pea soup...... WITH PORTUGUESE LINGUIÇA OR SMOKED SAUSAGE.

Oh my god , today the CT members have been making my mouth water. 

Getting dizzy from my food orgasm memories....

11. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Sounds good Kaique. Are you Portuguese? Funny how we can have conversations online without even knowing who we're talking to or what country they come from.... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Split puree (thicker than a soup) was really good. Here's how I did it: 

In a cold saucepan:

- 1 1/2 cup split peas

- 3 cups water (from the tap - or, as we say in France, "Chateau La Pompe")

- 1 tspn coarse sea salt

- 1/2 onion, diced

Simmered for 1/2 hour. 

Added slices of Saucisson a l'ail. 

Simmered for 5mn. 

Served with torn bits of grilled pita bread 

It was really good and I would not use chicken stock for that recipe, for fear of getting away from the taste of the peas. If anything, I would like to experiment with thyme, savory or sage.

12. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    You use water to wash your car!!?? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif  I only wash my car with chicken stock. 

13. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Lol someone getting sassy because of water XD. 

And yeh im originally from Brazil :p

14. heymroscar

heymroscar

Exp:
    At home cook
    LOL/img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif   When I make my soup, I will let you know if the stock takes away from the peas.  Take care.

15. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Oh, I did not know this thanks for clarifying.  I can't think of why I would make something like this.

16. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Same vegetable, completely different taste.

17. heymroscar

heymroscar

Exp:
    At home cook
    Made split pea with stock and ham shank.   But it wasn't until I added chicken broth at the end to lessen the consistency, that the soup really came together.  The chicken broth played a vital role. I won't use common stock to make this soup again.  I hope everybody had a happy thanksgiving. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif