Tonight's Dinner

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by cronker, Jan 28, 2017.

1. cronker

cronker

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    So, this is totally not about your restaurant, or your cooking to feed people and/or make money.
    What I would like to know about is what you do at home when your job is over. What do you cook for yourself and maybe your partner and kids?
    Many, many chefs don't cook at home, and I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that very few chefs produce restaurant quality food at home on their days off.
    Is it cheese toasties? Spaghetti from a can? Bubble and squeak while th refrigerator leftovers?
    Discuss.

2. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I love cooking for my family. Its just a matter of how much I'm around.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  3. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Burger patties with grilled onion & mushrooms and leftover macaroni & cheese.

Tomorrow will be hash & eggs from the leftover chuck roast, potatoes and veg from Thursday.

Last night was tuna melts on sourdough with muenster and waldorf salad.

I try to cook something nice on my days off.

4. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef

This is fairly representative of dinner 4-5 times a week. It takes about ½ hour or less to put together.

The base tonight was brown rice and oatmeal, but I will switch them up with bulgur, buckwheat groats, freekeh, etc. I usually cook them in a dashi made with bonito, kombu, to which I generally add fresh ginger and turmeric. After making the dashi, I chop up the kombu and put it in the finished dish.

I chop up some vegie, tonight was brussels sprouts, kale, purple cauliflower, and butternut squash. I usually toss in some legumes like lentils, black beans, etc. Tonight was chickpeas. I toss in a protein, usually a fatty fish or tempeh, although have also been known to use chicken, pork, etc.

Sprinkle with sunflower seeds, or sometimes nuts, or pepitas. Then some flax seed, hemp seed, and chia seed. Mix it all up and toss with sauce of some sort. Tonight was a yogurt roasted garlic dressing. Sometimes fire roasted salsa, sometimes a tamari, nori komi furikake, coconut oil dressing, or a salsa verde, or a mango chipotle dressing, etc.

Mix it with the hot base and top with over easy eggs.

On days off I will get a little more elaborate and expand the cooking time to 2 hours or so, usually doing a stew, one pot, peasant type dish from a different country. When I owned a restaurant (or AKA, was owned by a restaurant) I use to joke I did it because I didn’t have time to travel so I traveled vicariously through play time in the kitchen on my day off.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  5. chefdwilliams

chefdwilliams

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Great question. If I have to spend more then 5 minutes making something, I just won't do it. LOL. When my wife says she is married to a chef, people always say "OMG I wish I was. I bet you get incredible meals"... My wife just laughs. She says 'Yes I do", but she doesn't... LOL . Only time I really cook at home, is holidays (my kids want the family food traditions) or when I am recipe developing at home.

Its like a friend of mine. His wife is a hair stylist yet he has to make an appointment because she just won't cut his hair at home.LOL

My wife buys a lot of frozen stuff for me at Trader Joes. They have amazing "pop in the microwave" items. Tamales, burritos, great frozen pizza ETC.

I bet im not alone/img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/chef.gif

6. sharktwain

sharktwain

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    I'm unfortunately there with Chefdwilliams. I really enjoy my job, but at the end of the day, the last thing I want to do is cook more food. I'll still get up off my fat butt and make something nice when my wife and I are eating together, but otherwise all my meals are either noodles with meat thrown in it, something I can nuke, or something I can eat cold.