Tomorrow will be 1 week Since school Started Attending LCB Miami Campua in Miramar FL

Discussion in 'General Culinary School Discussions' started by thumper1279, Feb 21, 2013.

1. thumper1279

thumper1279

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    So  tomorrow at the end of the day will be 1 week since school started 

i have had 2 kitchen days and 3  Class room days 

for Collage Career and Success     i  am reading the   Welcome To Culinary School Book 

A Culinary Student Survival Guide  so far what i have read in here is 

i have Decided that i know the Type of Chef i would one day like to become is 

A Working Chef 

i am hoping that perhaps in 5 years i can reach that goal 

i don't think that is to fast to move 5 years 

now for   Serve Safe       Food Safety and Sanitation   i have learned some new things 

like  TCS      Temperature Control Safety  i guess i have always know a little about this but never had to put it to work before much in my brain 

and  one thing that i find really intresting 

and it took me a whyll to understand it is  FAT-TOM    Food Acidity Time -   Temperature Oxygen Moisture 

one of the things that where hard for me but i think i finally understand is  Pathogens i was getting pathogens and Bacteria mixed up 

bacteria  multiplies over time and   Pathogens  means it's microscopic that can only be seen by microscope not the bare eye 

i know there is probably more to this than that 

but im really a slow learner and im happy that i was able to pick this up so far but still i have alot om confused on and trying to work threw 

Now onto Culinary Foundations one  OK yeah i love my knife kit i even added a few things to it that where not supplied 

I'm still waiting on my slip resistant shoes i ordered to come almost had a bad fall in the dish area of the kitchen today chef told me to stay out of the dish area and any mopped or watter area until shoes come in but i was able to help out in other ways 

and then learning the cuts 

omg 

um  yeah  cutting potatoes yes i see how its cheaper to buy potatoes then meat 

so yeah leaning cuts and how to use your tools on potatoes and onions  is easier on the money then meats 

but still wow 

what I'm really worried with is  Math i really suck at math i graduated high school in 8th grade levels 

and I'm so worried about  Measurements and Conversions and trying to learn and remember them it's not going to be easy i fear that it's going ot be the hardest thing for me 

well for now this is the what i wanted to post 

hoping that its ok to post this write up here 

wish me luck with week number 2 please 

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Doing conversions when cooking is often easier for people because they have the physical experience with the tools and  the product. When it's just plain math, that's more esoteric and harder to grasp for many.

3. thumper1279

thumper1279

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    thank you for that i think that once working with it and not just looking on paper i will be able to do good 

just that tomorrows quiz is going to have some of that on it and well i need to drill it into my head as much as i can right now and tomorrow am before the quiz 

the real challenge will come over the next 5 months 

i don't have actual college mathematics classes until July or August 

i am enrolled in the AS  Certificate  i am going to have some friends who have offered to help help me with math over the next 4 or 5 months if i can't get it or i don't feel confident that i can do it successfully then July is when i have to decide weather to just got for the Certificate Diploma instead of the AS degree 

so far my Chef Instructor is the same for all 3 classes and he will also be doing my Foundations 2 and 3 when the time comes 

but he won't be the one handling Math Classes when the time comes 

i told him how i am nervous about it and he was like do you want to change to certificate diploma now and if so you need to go see the Executive Chef of the school and transfer courses 

i said no not yet I'm going to work over the next several months on math with some help of some friends and if i can't feel good about it by first of summer then ill have to make the decision to change over then 

he said that's very good thinking 

and thinks I'm making the right choice there 

4. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It puts a smile on my face to see someone so excited about their first week of school and learning to cook. Enjoy it while it lasts because these could possibly be one of the best times of your life. I know it was for me. :)

Try not to overwhelm yourself with the math part. It takes time, but it will come to you with practice...and trust me, you will have plenty of that. Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  5. thumper1279

thumper1279

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    I was really nervous about school but also i was very excited about returning to school since most people who leave school don't return not very often i am returning after 14 years of being absent from school 

6. thumper1279

thumper1279

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Ok so it's now been 6 weeks since school started and now i have started my spring break today after class ended 

i also have my Grades  College Career and success   A      Food Safety  and Sanitation A     Culinary Foundations A         
    i also got me NRA   Serv Safe  Certification  got an 85 on that  so im really doing good  and im really happy 

7. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    I live in Florida what is LCB  Miami never heard of it.

8. thumper1279

thumper1279

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    LCB   Le Cordon Bleu  in Miramar FL