Tomato Fest

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by cape chef, Aug 7, 2002.

1. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  2. britcook

britcook

Is she any relation to Julia Child? ;)

3. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    OOOOH, CC, wish I could - tomatoes and Julia - can't think of a better combination!

Am I the only one who thinks tomatoes are sexy? All those pics of luscious, ripe, round - okay I'll stop!

On a more serious note, I can't find any local farmer's markets here in central Jersey who are growing the heirloom varieties; maybe one or two (I've seen Brandywines, and Cherokees); I'd love to order a sampling - anyone know any online sources for a basket? I know Diamond Organics does, but just wonder if there are any others.

It's almost time for those stand-over-the'sink-and-eat-'em tomato and mayo sandwiches on white bread!!!!

4. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  5. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    OMG, CC - This is wonderful! And on the east coast so I don't have to pay those outrageous shipping costs! I may do serious damage here!!

6. chefboy2160

chefboy2160

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Went to the farmers market last night and man , well you could just smell the fresh picked vine ripened tomatoes and they were a magnet to me . Fresh marinara and salsa are on the menu this week . Some people think we are wierd to be turned on by such fresh produce but they know not what they miss .

7. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I had some tomato in my salad last night and on my sandwich today. Does that count for anything?:D

8. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Mmmmm! Think it's time for some insalata caprese! Now where's that last drizzle of Romeu EVOO I'm saving?

9. chefgbs

chefgbs

Hi marmalady,

At chef2chef, they just put together a list of farmers' markets across the country. As far as completeness, I couldn't tell you. I know it has gotten all the farmers' markets around me in upstate NY including ones I had no idea about. Maybe you'll find one in NJ. Here's the link:

www.chef2chef.net/farmer-markets/

10. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Thanks, for the site, chefgbs - unfortunately, the ones there are in NJ are quite a schlep for me! I live in 'AT&T' country - none of those people even know what an heirloom tomato is, let alone what to do with it!

11. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Guess we don't exsist.....the Dept of Ag left Clayton Farmer's market off the list....