Chef Forum banner

Tomato Cream Sauce, suggestions on how to make?

3K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  iridium12 
#1 ·
We took our mother out for her 90th to a fine dining Italian joint. I had an appetizer simply described as "Grilled Stuffed Shrimp on Crostini with Special Seafood Sauce."

The primary flavor of the sauce was obviously tomato, with great umami, but due to the lively conversation I did not concentrate adequately on the flavors. It was very thick, richness of cream, possibly some sweet red pepper puree, possibly a bit of saffron, salt. Smooth, no bits or pieces of anything.

So how would some chefs here suggest making such a sauce? Mainly getting the thickness (rue/thickener and/or reduction?), type of cream to use and great tomato umami.

#2 ·
The basic tomato cream sauce that I've seen used in many Italian joints is simply tomato sauce + whipping cream.

You vary the consistency with the use of roux, stock, and cream.

Some use roux to thicken the tomato sauce then add plain whipping cream, some use thin tomato sauce with cream sauce (béchamel + whipping cream), and some use thick tomato sauce + cream sauce and thin it with some stock.

The key to the desired flavours come from the ingredients you put into your tomato sauce.

Try it first with canned/jarred tomato sauce + whipping cream. I find that this combination usually gives you 80% of the flavour in 20% of the time. You can adjust and refine the recipe next time if this doesn't satisfy you.

#3 · (Edited)
OK ... Here is what I would do ...

1 can fire-roasted tomatoes
1 roasted sweet red pepper
* 1/2 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons good shrimp sauce
Half fistful fresh basil leaves

All go into the food-pro and blitzed until smooth.
Pour through fine strainer to remove any pulp. (I wouldn't do this ... but I think you should)
Gently heat just until small bubbles appear ... stirring while heating.
Serve.

edit: I forgot the cream (duh)

I'm just sayin'.

"We work in kitchens ... It ain'te rocket surgery.".

#5 ·
OK thanks all, you filled the blanks in. Super-heavyweight cream, no reduction there. Tomato paste, though I never use it, was what I actually would have tried here, so glad to hear thick tomato sauce is most used. Roast the red pepper, I actually didn't think of that initially. Iceman, I typically don't strain either, but I would have here.

I actually never had a tomato cream sauce before, and I rather liked it a lot. A $15 appetizer and it was amongst the 3 most memorable meals (I made it the meal it was so satisfying) of the summer, and quite then some, along with $16 crab cakes and another Italian place, and $8.50 for a Vietnamise spicy beef noodle soup. Great cheap eats, you gotta love it.

#6 ·
OK since this has worked so well, I'd like to inquire about the lump crab cakes. Aside from the 3 excellent sauces provided (a Tai sweet chili, mustard-horseraddish, and a translucent pesto), the cakes were well crusted outside, and beautifully, elegantly fluffy and creamy inside. Additionally the strands of the lump meat where separated but not broken. How would you achieve that fluffy/creamy texture?

#10 · (Edited)
The binder is of course the mystery part here. I'd initially think cream and some little egg white were in there, no yellow tinge to indicate yoke, very white. I'd say the blended rice was a possibility, or bechamel, I'd guess that over the potato. There was certainly nothing in flavor or texture to hint of anything like rice or potato though, so maybe the bechamel. Yup, I'm leaning strongly toward the bechamel.

To that I can add that given the soft consistency of the innards this was not an easy thing to fry up into perfect shaped patties. I'd say very good technique all around was employed here.

Well OK I guess they used a ring-thingy to make the patties, hey I'm learnin. Thanks again to all, and I should say that again Pat Pat scores most the points here.

#26 ·
Take it from the autistic kid, personal revulsion are most often the result of an overly internalized focus of attention surrounding the particular subject, the result of a traumatic experience creating the dysfunctional complex. Stop associating mayo with a pile of dead white cells and all will be fine, barring food allergies and sensitivities of course.

Getting back to crab cakes before I do anything more to damage my post, had another great example last night, simple egg binder in this one I believe, but the quality of the crab was exceptional. For those around Bean Town I recommend the cozy little spot Buttermilk and Bourbon, great NOLA inspired food, small plates made for sampling.

#27 · (Edited)
Take it from the autistic kid, personal revulsion are most often the result of an overly internalized focus of attention surrounding the particular subject, the result of a traumatic experience creating the dysfunctional complex. Stop associating mayo with a pile of dead white cells and all will be fine, barring food allergies and sensitivities of course.
Rick, you are so RIGHT ON! Classical and operant conditioning and relational frame theory and even more "stuff" bear you out.
Still.... Ewwwwwwww! :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.