Tojiro Origami

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by dsplayname, Oct 11, 2014.

1. dsplayname

dsplayname

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Anyone have a review/experience on these?  I am considering getting myself a new chef knife, and like the look of these.  I don't do a lot of heavy knife-work, and have no problems with only being offered in 180mm.    I like the black look, but can't find them for sale anywhere, so might be getting the mirror finish.

http://www.tojiro-japan.com/products/862/

2. tweakz

tweakz

Exp:
    Line Cook
    After looking at it from this perspective:

Do you still want it?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2015
    rick alan likes this.
  3. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    There are a lot of cool-looking knives out there, this one doesn't strike me quite that way, as tweakz seems to indicate also, and I personally don't see any other reason for having it.

Rick

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  4. tweakz

tweakz

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I think I'd only consider the DP line from Tojiro. The space between the scallop and bolster can be screwed up on them, but they perform good for the price. Not every Tojiro knife is good ( I'm very unhappy with the F-699).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2015
  5. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    All right so obviously not many on the forum are sufficiently amused to comment.  I will tell you (as a mere home cook mind you, but a professional none the less) that in your position I might be tempted to bring such a knife to work, so long as those in my company/charge had both proper respect for my abilities, and a sense of lightness about themselves also.  Both, not one or the other.  But if what you really want is a knife that fulfills the practical aspects of a proper chef's knife, and at  the same time makes a strong statement about yourself, then maybe some around here could help if we knew a little more about what it is in particular you are really looking for.

Rick

6. spoiledbroth

spoiledbroth

Exp:
    Line Cook
    this however was sufficiently amusing for me to weigh in. if you want flash get a traditional wa handle... the construction of these kinves looks pretty suspect and probably more pedestrian than professional. Unless you're getting them for a low low price and they happen to actually be good knives (although the profiles look... weird) then whatever floats your boat.

7. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    A lot of iffy ifs there but, yes, I'd say that's about the size of it.  The knife looks to be made of 1.5mm stock, very likely a modest alloy, rather short for any serious prep, and doesn't appear to have much taper, ie, is thick behind the edge.  And you'll need a pipe cleaner for the handle.

Rick