Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Yaxell Sayaka S-0 Chef Knife 200mm

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Joined Jul 4, 2018
Hey guys, currently I'm looking for a chef knife and i have came up with
- Tojiro DP F808 Chef Knife 210mm
- Yaxell Sayaka S-0 Chef Knife 200mm
between this two knives which one is better?

*In terms of pricing, Yaxell is cheaper than Tojiro.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
Tojiro all the way. 210 is on the small side but 200 is too small. The Yaxell Sayaka has a terrible grip. It really sucks. And ... it's give or take $40 more. Like I said ... Tojiro.

We're talking opinions here. It's a guarantee that someone else will think differently than me. That's OK.

Joined Jul 4, 2018
Tojiro all the way. 210 is on the small side but 200 is too small. The Yaxell Sayaka has a terrible grip. It really sucks. And ... it's give or take $40 more. Like I said ... Tojiro.

We're talking opinions here. It's a guarantee that someone else will think differently than me. That's OK.
Thank you for your opinion, appreciate it

Joined Nov 15, 2012
Tojiro sells for around $60, where do you see the Yaxel for less than $100? Both knives have the same steel, and likely the same level of HT and grind. Tojiro has been a major go-to in the entry level Japanese category, along with Fujiwara FKM/FKH. I'd take Iceman's word here.

You should understand that VG-10 steel is not so easy to sharpen

iHomeer sells a 210 in AUS-8 for around $15, and AUS-10 for around $60. Haven't heard anything bad about them yet, and you certainly can't beat those prices, worth a shot if you don't mind experimenting. AUS-10 is much preferable to VG-10 imho, many would prefer AUS-8 also, and the FKH uses it. Both are easier to sharpen than VG-10.

Joined Jul 4, 2018
Tojiro sells for around $60, where do you see the Yaxel for less than $100? Both knives have the same steel, and likely the same level of HT and grind. Tojiro has been a major go-to in the entry level Japanese category, along with Fujiwara FKM/FKH. I'd take Iceman's word here.

You should understand that VG-10 steel is not so easy to sharpen

iHomeer sells a 210 in AUS-8 for around $15, and AUS-10 for around $60. Haven't heard anything bad about them yet, and you certainly can't beat those prices, worth a shot if you don't mind experimenting. AUS-10 is much preferable to VG-10 imho, many would prefer AUS-8 also, and the FKH uses it. Both are easier to sharpen than VG-10.

Thank you so much for your opinion, it do helps me to know more.

Actually I'm from Malaysia, i saw the pricing through a site called "peteskitchenwares" where the knives are supply by a local. From there, yaxell is cheaper than tojiro and the choices of knives are very limited.

But in terms of edges retention, isn't it that VG-10 have a better edge retention than AUS-8?

Joined Nov 15, 2012
VG-10 will hold a "servieable" edge better than AUS-8, but the latter is arguably a better all around steel, it's certainly easier to sharpen, and doesn't chip. And definitely I'd take AUS-10 over VG-10.

We have heard that it is tough getting knives in Malaysia, sorry luck. I guess possibly it's either Tojiro or Yaxel for you.

Joined Jul 4, 2018
VG-10 will hold a "servieable" edge better than AUS-8, but the latter is arguably a better all around steel, it's certainly easier to sharpen, and doesn't chip. And definitely I'd take AUS-10 over VG-10.

We have heard that it is tough getting knives in Malaysia, sorry luck. I guess possibly it's either Tojiro or Yaxel for you.
Sadly, i couldn't find any knife with aus10.

Thank you :emoji_innocent:

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
But in terms of edges retention, isn't it that VG-10 have a better edge retention than AUS-8?

Yes with large caveats comparing vg 10 to Aus 10.
There's plenty of variability in heat treat methods that will influence that more than the steel itself.

Aus 8 is about as soft as most German steel so isn't an improvement there IMHO.

In contrast to Rick, I'd pick vg10 over aus10. While somewhat more chip prone I think it's edge holding and toughness surpass the ease of edge taking and refinement aus 10 has over vg10.

This comes down to preferences I think. I find sharpening a chore. I would say that Rick seems to relish a level of edge refinement and polish I don't pursue.

For the tradeoffs I value in kitchen knife work, vg10 is better for me. And is what I mostly use.

Joined Jul 4, 2018
Yes with large caveats comparing vg 10 to Aus 10.
There's plenty of variability in heat treat methods that will influence that more than the steel itself.

Aus 8 is about as soft as most German steel so isn't an improvement there IMHO.

In contrast to Rick, I'd pick vg10 over aus10. While somewhat more chip prone I think it's edge holding and toughness surpass the ease of edge taking and refinement aus 10 has over vg10.

This comes down to preferences I think. I find sharpening a chore. I would say that Rick seems to relish a level of edge refinement and polish I don't pursue.

For the tradeoffs I value in kitchen knife work, vg10 is better for me. And is what I mostly use.
Thank you for your opinion:emoji_innocent:

If compare Tojiro DP F808 Chef Knife 210mm & Yaxell Sayaka S-0 Chef Knife 200mm, both knives used the same steel, so i will assume that both have the same characteristics.

But if in terms of craftsmanship, which one would you recommend?

Joined Nov 15, 2012
Thank you for your opinion:emoji_innocent:

If compare Tojiro DP F808 Chef Knife 210mm & Yaxell Sayaka S-0 Chef Knife 200mm, both knives used the same steel, so i will assume that both have the same characteristics.

But if in terms of craftsmanship, which one would you recommend?

I believe Iceman gave an answer to that one. I personally never used either knife, but never heard anyone of importance recommend the Yaxel, so I would definitely pick the Tojiro on that, because the Tojiro is always among recommendations here.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
Khim ... If you came in here and just asked for a simple recommendation ... I would have said Tojiro from the get-go. Again ... that's just my opinion ... but they are still, in the big picture, very good bang-for-the $$$.

Joined Jul 4, 2018
Khim ... If you came in here and just asked for a simple recommendation ... I would have said Tojiro from the get-go. Again ... that's just my opinion ... but they are still, in the big picture, very good bang-for-the $$$.
I believe Iceman gave an answer to that one. I personally never used either knife, but never heard anyone of importance recommend the Yaxel, so I would definitely pick the Tojiro on that, because the Tojiro is always among recommendations here.

Guess i will just go for tojiro.
Thx for the help

Top Bottom