Tojiro dp knife, blade coated in something

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by bobtheman, Mar 14, 2016.

1. bobtheman

bobtheman

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I remember reading, I think on these forums, someone else stating that something on their knifes blade was coming off. I think the original post stated their knife was a Tojiro knife.

Anywho, I just got a new tojiro dp knife, and the blade does appear to be coated in something. I washed the knife with water and soap as the directions instructed but that coating still appears to be there.

The original thread had a reply where someone confirmed they were coated in something, and confirmed what the coating was.

I cannot find this original post. Can someone link me to the original post or re-itterate any important info?

After I washed the knife I placed it inside my wood block, should I be concerned that whatever that coating is rubbed off inside the block?

2. bobtheman

bobtheman

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I wanted to add a picture of what im looking at. See the line slightly above the blade?

3. foody518

foody518

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I don't recall a coating on mine. 

The line is either a something like a laser etched aesthetic harkening the san-mai (3 layered) look that is characteristic of many Japanese blades, or it is the literal indication of where the soft stainless steel cladding ends and the VG-10 core steel is exposed. This is consistent with the fact that the DP is a san-mai construction blade.

4. jbroida

jbroida

Exp:
    Former Chef
    its the line where the cladding and core steels meet... the lamination line

5. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Nothing to worry about. Youre seeing two types of steel not any coating

6. duckfat

duckfat

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Not  unexpected at this price point but it's slightly surprising how uneven the lamination is. I wouldn't worry about this at all though. The DP's get a lot of good press for a reason.

7. bobtheman

bobtheman

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    by lamination are you referring to where the two different kinds of steels have meet and have been pressed together?

Thank you to everyone else who have confirmed its not coated with anything.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  8. jbroida

jbroida

Exp:
    Former Chef
    whats surprising?  Theres nothing odd at all about how it looks.. for this knife or even much more expensive ones.