Tofu cream cheese frosting

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by jorkin, Jan 23, 2003.

1. jorkin

jorkin

I have a tofu cream cheese frosting recipe that I absolutely love. The problem is that I cannot seem to make it as thick as regular cream cheese frosting. I tried adding actual tofu (not just tofu cream cheese), but that made it have little clumps in it. I've also tried doubling the amount of tofu cream cheese use, but nothing else, and that made it even less firm! Does anyone have any ideas? HELP!:)

2. phoebe

phoebe

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I'm sorry I can't help with your thickening problem, jorkin, but could you share the recipe with us? :D I'm looking for painless ways of getting some soy in my diet, and this sounds good.

3. jorkin

jorkin

Tofu Cream Cheese Frosting

1 pkg of tofu cream cheese (plain)
    2-3 tbs of soften margerine/butter
    1 tsp of vanilla
    3 c confectioners sugar

ENJOY:)

4. miahoyhoy

miahoyhoy

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Add another tablespoon or so of butter. that will thicken it.
    You could also try to strain the tofu cream cheese through some cheesecloth in the fridge for 24 hours.
    good luck,
    Jon

5. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    If dairy isn't a problem, yogurt cheese could help. Line a strainer with cheesecloth and set it over a bowl. Dump a carton of plain yogurt in it and let it sit in the refrigerator (covered) for 6-8 hours. The whey will drain out and leave you with a thick, creamy product. Won't take much heat without separating, in my experience, but it may work.

6. svadhisthana

svadhisthana

What kind of tofu did you add? Silken tofu shouldn't be clumpy like a firm cotton type tofu. You could use Mezzaluna's yogurt cheese with soy yogurt for a non-dairy alternative.

Crystal