Tofu and cheese inquiry

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by sunscour, Feb 2, 2014.

1. sunscour

sunscour

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Every year I go vegan for a month. I only do it for a month because I love steak too much, and it helps me explore the vegetable side of cooking more thoroughly. I am currently taking a class that outlines the cheese making process and noticed the main process involves a combination of pressing, salting, and aging. I looked online and found recipes for pressed tofu, but am wondering what would happen if the whole process was applied to tofu. Would I just get dry salty tofu? would it take on any cheese characteristics? Also if bacteria cultures were added to the tofu such as requiforti Penicillum would there be a rind and chemical change in the tofu or would I just end up with a gross bacterial laden block of poo? Thanks in advance

2. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
  3. sunscour

sunscour

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Fermented tofu can be made from soybeans but already purchased tofu cannot be fermented. I am sorry I did not specify in my post that I was asking about taking packaged tofu to do this with. However though it may be more taxing to get Tempeh from scratch I wonder if pressing and turning the tempeh will create a good product similar to cheese.